Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

a solution to getting rid of swirlmarks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002
The Standard One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
a solution to getting rid of swirlmarks?

alright i just got a bottle of 3M swirlmark remover for dark colored cars(i have a NBP)... after being told that meguires show glaze would get rid of them, i got a bottle n it did not work.. it mearly hid the swirlmarks for a couple days... this is because its just a filler and not an abrasive... so ya anyways... i just tried it on my trunk and after doing it 3-4 times on one square foot spot, I HAVE NO SWIRLMARKS. i cant say that its gone for sure but ya i guess i'll get back to you guys in a week... it did seem like it worked tho because while i was using it i heard squeeking noises which would mean your scratching the surface... but ya before you guys actually go out and buy it, using this product is not easy... you take a terry cloth and rub back/forth till it dries up. then you gotta do it again and again till you dont see the swirl marks. n dont use it too much cause it is an abrasive that "sands" down the top layer of your paint... not much but it still does... but ya i'll probably do this only twice a year cause it seemed very time consuming and tiring and i dont want to reach bare metal.... i know this paragraph wasnt well organized but oh well... maybe tomorrow when i wake up a bit...
Old 07-04-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
Swirl Marks always come back or they will reform another way, but yes the 3M product is one of the best. I also just went out and purchased Meguires Swirl remover, and I gotta tell you that it also removed all the swirl marks on a black mercedes that I detailed the other day.
Old 07-04-2002
The Standard One

ya i know i'll always have swirl marks but its nice to see my car lookin all new again after 6 months... ya i was thinking about getting the meguires but i read the back and it said it was an 'all in one'(cleaner/polish/swirl remover in one) kinda of swirl remover and i just hate buying them 'all in one' products cause they dont last that long... but ya i wish i had a buffer of some sort cause i get tired after doing a small portion of the hood...
Old 07-05-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
I have that 3M stuff too, works great. I have the same problem as having an EBP car...so you guys just kept applying the swirl mark remover one coat after another?? Does that work?? If it does, I have to try it!

2Hottie
Old 07-05-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys don't get any cloudiness in the paint or hazing after using these products? I don't mean like the whole car or body part, just some visible lines or patches where you can see how the product was applied.
Old 07-05-2002
The Standard One

the swirl remover isnt put on like wax, its not a coat. you put a small amount on a small portion of the car and keep rubbing till it dries. then wipe off the few thats left and do it again... have to do it like 4-5 times in order for them to completely go away. but ya you see the improvement after one time tho...

as for hazing or anything like that, nope, i think it actually made the car glossier... its smooth like glass, just like the first day i had my car. now i just gotta finish doing the rest of the hood, probably take like 5 hours doing it by hand..
Old 07-05-2002
Registered!!

I know what it is, I have used it on my nbp vic as well. Just trying to figure out why I got some hazing a while back.
Old 07-05-2002
The Standard One

i get hazing with meguires products, one reason why i chose to go with 3m this time...
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

2001CIVICLX is an unknown quantity at this point
www.zainobros.com

Z5, Swirl remover...

ZAINO is the best there is. Granted, you have to spend almost $80 dollars for the full kit the first time around, but it is well worth it. Look into it if you really want to get your car cleaned up...
Old 07-08-2002
Premium Member

You know whats funny?? My friend has a black GT and he uses Zaino...Swears by most of the products except for the Z5 swirl remover. He brings the car to me to have the swirls removed. I usually use Meguires Swirl remover or 3M Hand Glaze. As for meguires products giving you a haze, I can see the glaze leaving a haze but that is normal and will get removed by the wax. If you still get a haze with the wax, then you may be using the same applicator to put the wax on that you put the glaze on with or you may be using the same towels to remove the wax that you used to remove the glaze. You always have to use clean applicators and clean towels. Try going over the paint with a micro fiber towel after you remove the final coat of wax. This will remove haze and any excess wax that you might of missed.
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats good advice guys, I will have to try it now. I just did the 3M on the car yesterday and there was already an improvement! There are a few spots that could use some more work, but they look pretty good for the most part. As for that Zaino Bors stuff, I wanna try that to see how it works!

2Hottie
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

showoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Zainobros products are very time tenative, the longer you leave z5 or z2 on the better the results. Once i left my second coat of z5 on over night using ZFX accelerator and the next day I buffed to a near perfect shine with no swirls. Another time i put z5 and left it on for the minimum duration (30 Minutes) and it looked like i did nothing. I agree with using 3m or meguires for imediate swirl removal, but once again the tactic of "Cutting" through your topcoat isn't a good procedure for an average bi-monthly swirl removal. I also experimented with Zymol cleaner wax and then z5 followed by z2. And found my car to be extremely shiny with no swirls. Also use clean mitts and Microfiber towels when washing your car. I also don't use circular motion for anything whenever i thouch my car (bumper to bumper for hood and trunk and up and down vertical for doors bumpers, etc...) Terry towels can sometimes give swirls if you reuse a quickdetailer that may have dried up on the towel it can be somewhat harsh.
Old 07-08-2002
The Standard One

i'm not saying zainos not goo dor anything but i'm thinking those products are merely a "cover up" like the show glaze... it doesnt get rid of the swirl marks, just hides them. in order to get rid of swirlmarks i think you have to take off the topcoat using a mild abrasive, such as a swirlmark remover. even the cleaner wax is a very² mild abrasive, not nearly as a swirlmark remover but it still is...
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

pdxbiker is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the best way to get rid of swirls and any other imperfections in learn how to use a rotary buffer. Once you know how to use a rotary buffer and know which products to use you can get rid of so many annoying imperfections.
Old 07-11-2002
Premium Member

Pdx....A rotary buffer can create and will create swirls...Even when using a foam pad and machine glaze. You are always better off removing swirls by hand.
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

mndthegap1 has a spectacular aura aboutmndthegap1 has a spectacular aura about
i use mothers car wax to polish and wax the car, its very good
and i havent noticed any marks from it.
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

Well, I just did my wife's car that we just got her. Washed it, clay bared it, washed it, 3m swirl remover 2x, quick detail with meg's, Meguiars glaze (brown bottle), quick detailed it with meg's, nu finish, washed, and quick detailed with megs.

I have never used the same apps nor towels for different products. Once an app is used for one product it goes in the to be washed bucket. Same with the towels. I found that paying extra attention to how you apply the products and more importantly, using quick detailer to smooth the product and remove any left over residuce inbetween applications has gotten rid of the haze I used to see.

I think the meguiar's glaze in the brown bottle is probably the best car product I have ever used. That is some awesome stuff!

Thanks to Civicdude for helping me out with getting the ol wife's car cleaned up!

Matt
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

pdxbiker is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a rotary buffer with a foam pad on my Blue car, no swirls at all.