Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Need Some Wax Tips

Old 05-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unstoppable is an unknown quantity at this point
Need Some Wax Tips

No matter how much I rub the wax in, I still see still film of wax on my car How moist should I apply the wax? I normally have it kinda soapy and just apply it. How many coats should I do for a good shine?

Also, I accidentaly got some wax on some plastic, and it won't come off! Will it fade out over time?

As you can tell, I"m a noob at detailing. How long does a coat of wax stay on for? If it rains, does the wax coat still stay there? It seems pointless for me to spend many hours detailing my car, only to have it destroyed by crazy Canadian weather =/ Anyone from Canada know where I can get Zaino other than online or the California Waterblade?
Old 05-22-2002
Registered!!

toastyghosty is an unknown quantity at this point
there's your problem...your car should be dried before applying the wax....unless you're using that bunk "water wax" that you spray on and let dry ...

either way after you car is dry...apply wax..wait till it drys to a haze..then buff off with a clean cloth.

also when you get wax in cracks, crevices, plastic try to get rid of it soon as you do it...as for wax that's stuck on your plastic trim...mother's has a product called "back to black" that can restore that for you...dont' worry about the name it works on any colour plastic, vinyl, rubber etc...

as for zaino you can get that at Lordco, california waterblade at Lordco, or Canadian Tire even has it...
Old 05-22-2002
Registered!!

JSWhaler is an unknown quantity at this point
ya you need to have you car dry before you apply anything to the surface unless noted on the container. Make suree that when your car is dry, its not sitting in the hot sun. Put your car in a shady area to apply wax/polish or whatever. You want to work with a cool surface. Time and effort will make your car shine above the rest.
Old 05-22-2002
Registered!!

JSWhaler is an unknown quantity at this point
for those little dabs of wax on plasitc or left on to harder, use an old tooth brush with som soap (car soap) and water and gently rub, the wax will come off. Make sure it's an old toothbrush cause the bristles will be softer than a new one. Or if you want to can always buy a small paint brush to do the job, but the toothbrush is cheeper and works the same.
Old 05-22-2002
Registered!!

sicsol is an unknown quantity at this point
A simple wax and grease remover should do the trick on the trim pieces. As for how often you should wax your car. It all depends. I wax my car as often as possible. Your better off waxing your car twice in a month with two light coats of wax, then one heavy coat once a month. I apply the wax lightly over one pannel and then use three different towels to remove and buff it. By using light coats the application and removal is much easier. Also stay out of the sun at all costs. You dont want the wax to harden on the paint. Its no fun to get off and you will probably end up scratching your paint trying to get it off.

good luck.

sicsolx

[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-22-2002
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
for cracks, i got some natural hog hair tooth brush. its soft, and no scratching. works for me
if you guys cant find this brush, its prolly cuz my grandpa sent it for me from japan. lol