Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

dent repair and repaint

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hurley2301 is an unknown quantity at this point
dent repair and repaint

anyone know about how much it would cost to repaint my front and rear stock bumpers? and how much dent removal is per dent or something. idk how it works? or if there is a DIY for dent removal?

thanks
Old 05-16-2006
Registered!!

RedBull is an unknown quantity at this point
this depends on how bad the dents are... some places do it by panel... others do it by dent count. Repainting depends on where you take it... how good the spaying is, how much they pay for paint, etc, etc.

They make special plunger tools for removing dents aswell as bars used to push dents out from inside. But this takes skill.... or it'll look like your trying to take dents outta a soda can.
Old 05-16-2006
Registered!!

mateusz is an unknown quantity at this point
for 2 bumper repaired....$300 life time warrenty
Old 05-16-2006
Registered!!

dugs05civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont try to pull a dent yourself, when metal is dented it stretches and needs to be heat shrunk by a skilled body man to make it look right.
Old 05-17-2006
Registered!!

RedBull is an unknown quantity at this point
not always.... a $25 black and decker heat gun will do the trick... just remember to work slowly, from the outside part of the dent in, even if it's your first time... just go real slow when working on them. People shouldn't be affraid to try this stuff. Half the time body shops will pop a dent out, fill with plastic, and repaint... for no reason. And then charge too much for it. I can get paintless dent removal done for $45 per panel, depending, and most of the time depending i've seen guys do amazing things.

You said these are your bumpers... which are plastic... not really easy to fix yourself... but worth a try.

See what you can do yourself first before you take it somewhere. Post some pics up.

Painting is another issue... that takes alot of training and practice. I know guys who've gone to school and been painting for a long time that still have issues getting paint colors to mix perfectly. But even from a pro shop... i bet i can spot someone 75% who's had a bumper or anything repainted.
Old 05-17-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Is the dent on the bumper or on a different panel? If its on the bumper, just get a new bumper, its a pain to get them to look right and you risk having some guy slap bondo on it, sand it, paint it, and watch it fall off in a year.

You may want to post in your regional forum and see if anyone suggests a good paint/body shop in your area.

If you have never removed a dent, please don't start on your own car by getting a heat gun at home depot, you will just burn through the paint and make it look cloudy. Better off to have a pro do it for you. If you want to learn, buy a beat up panel from a junk yard and practice, but don't ruin your car.

Paintless dent removal is the way to go if possible depending on the severity of the damage. Some places do better work than others, so ask if they have any before and after pictures, or if they have any cars they are working on for you to look at.

Last edited by soonercivic; 05-17-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2006
Registered!!

hurley2301 is an unknown quantity at this point
the dents are on the hood, and both door panels. and like 3 on the roof

the bumpers have no dents. but they need to be touched up. i used touch up paint and think that i just need to buff it out now to make it look normal again.

Last edited by hurley2301; 05-17-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2006
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.

blackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant future
If you REALLY want to try fixing things yourself, then do it on parts that can be easily replaced. Like bumpers, hood, fenders and what not. That way if you do screw it up horribly you can spend the extra money to just but a replacement, them smack yourself from not getting it fixed right the first time. DO NOT attempt to fix parts of the car like the roof, rear quarters, or doors. Doors can be replaced but it would cost a pretty penny. And messing up the roof would fukc you really badly. Just my 2 cents.

I also have a "bad" door in my basement you could buy off me to practice.

Last edited by blackBDMcivicLX; 05-20-2006 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost