Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Damn, how do I get rid of small chips on the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Damn, how do I get rid of small chips on the hood?

I used meguairs cleaner wax and then tech wax and it covered everything really well and made everything nice and smooth. a week later the little white specs are back on the black hood. its obviously from the damn roads in NY, so what works best to hide (cure) the problem, other than getting a CF hood?
Old 09-01-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
repaint or touchup. if they are actual rock chips in the paint, you cant repair them without painting it or using touchup paint. obviously repainting it will look best/ to limit the amount of white in there use a wax like meguiars NXT that dries clear.
Old 09-02-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by soonercivic
repaint or touchup. if they are actual rock chips in the paint, you cant repair them without painting it or using touchup paint. obviously repainting it will look best/ to limit the amount of white in there use a wax like meguiars NXT that dries clear.
i used the meguaris NXT tech wax. you cant feel the small, small "chips". it looks like gray tiny tiny dots - the cant be fixed with touchup paint. im guessing its chipped clear coat. im just looking to see if a glaze would help my cause - im going to use cleaner, polish, and NXT wax on the front bumper today to see if it does anything.
Old 09-02-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
you can try using scratchX and if you have a DA polisher like #80 and if thats not enough even #83. if you are going to use touchup paint, make sure the chip is completely cleaned out. otherwise the paint wont ever hold right and it will just fall out. you can use a clay bar to remove the wax you just put on so that you are using a clean surface. i would just try the clay bar and see if that takes them out, if not i say use some scratchX by hand because it will remove a little clear coat. if your trying to get it out you will want to avoid using a cleaner/wax because you dont need the waxing properties, thats why i say use scratchX because its a pure abrasive thats diminishes into a polish.

Last edited by soonercivic; 09-02-2005 at 08:36 AM.