Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Cleaning DC Sports header

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
Cleaning DC Sports header

what can i use to clean my headers? they are gold looking with some purple in it. I bought them off a member here and i dont know if they were polished or what, but they look like that are stainless steel polished.

Injen
Old 07-30-2005
Registered!!

injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
here is a pic of the header....

http://www.7thgencivic.com/memberrid...hp?photo=44061
Old 07-30-2005
This is not my batman glass!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trusted
bling bling
Old 07-30-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya it could be. use mothers mag metal polish but you're gonna have to work at it especially around the flanges where there's rust prolly. I bet it will look like new but once it gets hot over time the colors will come back.
Old 07-31-2005
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
I don't think it will take away that purple gold stains just because thats from heat and those are permanent. But, if there is like a milky oxidation on there like on my header, I think some polish will clear that up. I may have to try that because I;ve been wondering if theres anything that will make it shine again. I just wish they weren't so hard to take off because of the power steering pump.
Old 07-31-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
why take it off? Just do it when the car is cool.
Old 07-31-2005
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
True, but I have one of those headers where the pipes are pretty thick, and near the collector its almost impossible to do. But your right, Whatever I can polish while the header is still on, are the only parts people will be able to see.
Old 07-31-2005
Titanium Metallic. You got a problem with that?

Nodnero has a spectacular aura aboutNodnero has a spectacular aura about
Your headers are "blueing". Mothers mag polish will do a good job getting most of the stuff off, but try and get it while its fresh. It works really well as we have used it on the bike pipes, and it takes most of the blue out. Dont be afraid to use a godo amount and rub the spots for a while.
Old 07-31-2005
Registered!!

I sort of like how they change to that purple/blue/gold color. But the header I bought probably isnt' the highest quality of stainless steel which is why its got that light layer of oxidation.
Old 07-31-2005
Premium Member

well its stainless steel regardless and can be polished. You just gotta repeat the process over and over. Put some polish, keep rubbing until black stuff appears, buff with new cloth, and repeat until it starts shining. Don't do it once and just give up.
Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

sweet, thanks for the help. i thought about that mother polish, i use it on everything else, but i was just wondering if my headers were supposed to look like that.

Gearbox.... if the mounting flanges are rusty, will that take the rust off or should i use some wd-40?

Injen
Old 08-02-2005
Premium Member

the polish should remove the rust. Just might take a while.
Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
the polish should remove the rust. Just might take a while.

alright, thanks for your help man as always you come through with helping others!

Injen
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

03CivicEX4Door is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't even wast you're time, it look's like you're header is stainless if so you can polish it all you want it will polish up nice, But as soon as the header get's hot it's gonna discolor no matter what you do. Using mother mag polish will help alittle bit but if you want to polish it you gotta have special buffing wheel's and buffing compound. You're best bet is leaving it the way it is cause it's just gonna discolor any way's from the heat.
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

i used some mothers mag and aluminum polish yesterday, it seemed to help removing the rust but not clean the headers that great.... It really shinned up the headers though. I will try and get some pics up.

Injen
Old 08-04-2005
Premium Member

if you want to try and polish it, you gotta do the sandpaper and stuff. Not worth it. You could always send it to jet-hot to get sterling coating. Kepps heat in and looks very shiny, almost like chrome.
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

^ that prolly cost an arm and leg.

injen
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

03CivicEX4Door is an unknown quantity at this point
ya it does, prabally a few hundred. Best thing to do is leave it the way it is, or wrap it with header tape, or clean it with mag polish. Try this Get some small buffing wheels, They make tapered ones and ones that are 1 inch or smaller, get thoes put it on a cordless drill then put the mag polish on the header and polish it it will remove alot of the discoloration but it won't last long. If you're header is made out of good stainless like 304 series it will not rust cause theirs no iron in the stainless.

Last edited by 03CivicEX4Door; 08-04-2005 at 09:26 PM.