Spider web effect - Honda Civic Forum

Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2004   #1
Registered!!

NoahThePimp87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Spider web effect

Alright, every time i look closely at my paint when it is sunny I see what people say is the spider web effect. I have tried everything! Zymol cleaner wax by hand and orbital, meguiars paste cleaner wax, that eagle 1 polish and wax in one, by hand and orbital. And i have tried some other things including swirl removers.. I have read and studied autopia and many other websites as well. Nothing is giving me the info i need. Can anyone reccomend some product that will take that spider web effect out of the paint and how should i go applying it? Do i need a rotary, orbital, etc?

And does anyone know a good tire gloss?
NoahThePimp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #2
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
If you studied Autopia and still did not find your answer....something is wrong! LOL

I woudl say you are not using something abrasive enough. Since you are doing it by hand I will suggest Meguiar's scratch X. That is supposed to be a good product for hand application. Stay away from cleaner waxes to get defects like that out fot he paint. The best thing would be to get a high speed orbital and learn how to use it.
bobbyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #3
Registered!!

obguam is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy a porter cable 7424 and a set of foam pads. To polish out micro abrassions you will need an medium abrasive polish like Meguiar's DACP or Poor Boys SSR2.5, applied with a cutting pad, followed by a lighter polish and polishing pad to restore shine. Bobbyd's right though, there's much to learn about product choices and techniques to remove, rather than merely hide swirls, and as much about how not to cause new swirl marks. The Autopia guidebook is best place to start. Worked for me and I hope it works for you too.
obguam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004   #4
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obguam
Buy a porter cable 7424 and a set of foam pads. To polish out micro abrassions you will need an medium abrasive polish like Meguiar's DACP or Poor Boys SSR2.5, applied with a cutting pad, followed by a lighter polish and polishing pad to restore shine. Bobbyd's right though, there's much to learn about product choices and techniques to remove, rather than merely hide swirls, and as much about how not to cause new swirl marks. The Autopia guidebook is best place to start. Worked for me and I hope it works for you too.
Yeah, the guidebook is great, and so is Meguiar's DACP and Poorboy's SSR2.5. I recommend Lake County 7.5" foam pads and a 6" backing plate if you do get a Porter Cable.
Old 10-06-2004   #5
Registered!!

alright sounds good, ima go have to check some of that stuff out. How much is that porter cable 7424? and earlier today i bought and applied meguiars 7 and then finished it with 26 but it still showed up. And i also have the scratch x stuff already but have not tried to apply that yet, so i will have to try that one out.
Old 10-07-2004   #6
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahThePimp87
alright sounds good, ima go have to check some of that stuff out. How much is that porter cable 7424? and earlier today i bought and applied meguiars 7 and then finished it with 26 but it still showed up. And i also have the scratch x stuff already but have not tried to apply that yet, so i will have to try that one out.
You can usually find the Porter Cable polisher/sander at Lowes for $109.
Old 10-10-2004   #7
Registered!!

jonw440 is an unknown quantity at this point
PC 7424 With Sonus Pads
I have two complete sets of the Lake County pads. They "where my favorites"
Now I use the Sonus Pads.
The Spider webs you are seeing are also called "Swirl Marks". they are very shallow scratches in the clear.You need to polish them out.
Here is a car I did that also had swirl marks.
The polish I used was 1Z Paint Polish then followed up with 1Z Metallic Polish. Menzerna is also a polish I use.
Paint Polishes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swirls.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	40628   Click image for larger version

Name:	1Z PP2.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	40629   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC Buff.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	40630   Click image for larger version

Name:	1Z MP.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	40631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	40632  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 063.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	40633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 067.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	40634  
jonw440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #8
Registered!!

beautiful, very well done, that will help out a lot. Now what kind of pressure are you putting on the buffer, and what kind of buffer is that?
Old 10-13-2004   #9
Registered!!

nevermind on the buffer question, just saw the link
Old 10-13-2004   #10
Registered!!

Quote:
beautiful, very well done, that will help out a lot. Now what kind of pressure are you putting on the buffer, and what kind of buffer is that?
The only pressure I use, is the weight of the PC. I use a light touch but polish a little longer than most people. Say 5 minutes on one section. The less pressure you use the easier it is on the buffer,s bearings, the more the polish can work and the less mar marks you may get from pushing to hard. Plus if you push hard you sloww the buffer's orbits.
Old 10-13-2004   #11
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw440
PC 7424 With Sonus Pads
I have two complete sets of the Lake County pads. They "where my favorites"
Now I use the Sonus Pads.
The Spider webs you are seeing are also called "Swirl Marks". they are very shallow scratches in the clear.You need to polish them out.
Here is a car I did that also had swirl marks.
The polish I used was 1Z Paint Polish then followed up with 1Z Metallic Polish. Menzerna is also a polish I use.
Paint Polishes

looks like you let one loose on your fender.....
hustlelikem0fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004   #12
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustleLikeM0FO

I told you I was extremely happy with 1Z polishes.....
Old 10-14-2004   #13
Registered!!

The black looks good !
Old 10-16-2004   #14
Banned

civictuner should not be trustedcivictuner should not be trustedcivictuner should not be trustedcivictuner should not be trustedcivictuner should not be trustedcivictuner should not be trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustleLikeM0FO

Looks like some shot spearm on ur fender haha LOL!!!!!
civictuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #15
Banned

MeguiarsEM is an unknown quantity at this point
Sometimes cleaner waxes aren't agressive enought to remove below surface defects like swirls and scratches. You'll need a pure cleaner to take care of spider web and scratches. Try Medallion paint cleaner a few times on the defects. If that doesn't remove the defects you're looking at something that needs to be taken care of by machine. Perhaps a Dual Action polisher. What kind of "buffer" did you use with on you paint? Was it variable speed? Reason i'm asking is sometimes people use the old wheel style buffers and those are fast enough to remove defect and are mainly for applying polishes and waxes. As far as a tire shine Meguiar's Hot Shine is a good one.

Quote:
Alright, every time i look closely at my paint when it is sunny I see what people say is the spider web effect. I have tried everything! Zymol cleaner wax by hand and orbital, meguiars paste cleaner wax, that eagle 1 polish and wax in one, by hand and orbital. And i have tried some other things including swirl removers.. I have read and studied autopia and many other websites as well. Nothing is giving me the info i need. Can anyone reccomend some product that will take that spider web effect out of the paint and how should i go applying it? Do i need a rotary, orbital, etc?

And does anyone know a good tire gloss?
MeguiarsEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #16
Registered!!

i used one of those orbital buffers that you can buy at like meijer or target. And it is not a variable speed. Its actually a pretty crappy buffer