Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Spider web effect (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/176827-spider-web-effect.html)

NoahThePimp87 10-05-2004 07:01 PM

Spider web effect

Alright, every time i look closely at my paint when it is sunny I see what people say is the spider web effect. I have tried everything! Zymol cleaner wax by hand and orbital, meguiars paste cleaner wax, that eagle 1 polish and wax in one, by hand and orbital. And i have tried some other things including swirl removers.. I have read and studied autopia and many other websites as well. Nothing is giving me the info i need. Can anyone reccomend some product that will take that spider web effect out of the paint and how should i go applying it? Do i need a rotary, orbital, etc?

And does anyone know a good tire gloss?

bobbyd 10-06-2004 07:17 AM

If you studied Autopia and still did not find your answer....something is wrong! LOL ;)

I woudl say you are not using something abrasive enough. Since you are doing it by hand I will suggest Meguiar's scratch X. That is supposed to be a good product for hand application. Stay away from cleaner waxes to get defects like that out fot he paint. The best thing would be to get a high speed orbital and learn how to use it.

obguam 10-06-2004 07:39 AM

Buy a porter cable 7424 and a set of foam pads. To polish out micro abrassions you will need an medium abrasive polish like Meguiar's DACP or Poor Boys SSR2.5, applied with a cutting pad, followed by a lighter polish and polishing pad to restore shine. Bobbyd's right though, there's much to learn about product choices and techniques to remove, rather than merely hide swirls, and as much about how not to cause new swirl marks. The Autopia guidebook is best place to start. Worked for me and I hope it works for you too.

bobbyd 10-06-2004 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by obguam
Buy a porter cable 7424 and a set of foam pads. To polish out micro abrassions you will need an medium abrasive polish like Meguiar's DACP or Poor Boys SSR2.5, applied with a cutting pad, followed by a lighter polish and polishing pad to restore shine. Bobbyd's right though, there's much to learn about product choices and techniques to remove, rather than merely hide swirls, and as much about how not to cause new swirl marks. The Autopia guidebook is best place to start. Worked for me and I hope it works for you too.

Yeah, the guidebook is great, and so is Meguiar's DACP and Poorboy's SSR2.5. I recommend Lake County 7.5" foam pads and a 6" backing plate if you do get a Porter Cable.

NoahThePimp87 10-06-2004 08:27 PM

alright sounds good, ima go have to check some of that stuff out. How much is that porter cable 7424? and earlier today i bought and applied meguiars 7 and then finished it with 26 but it still showed up. And i also have the scratch x stuff already but have not tried to apply that yet, so i will have to try that one out.

bobbyd 10-07-2004 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by NoahThePimp87
alright sounds good, ima go have to check some of that stuff out. How much is that porter cable 7424? and earlier today i bought and applied meguiars 7 and then finished it with 26 but it still showed up. And i also have the scratch x stuff already but have not tried to apply that yet, so i will have to try that one out.

You can usually find the Porter Cable polisher/sander at Lowes for $109.

jonw440 10-10-2004 05:30 PM

7 Attachment(s)
PC 7424 With Sonus Pads
I have two complete sets of the Lake County pads. They "where my favorites"
Now I use the Sonus Pads.
The Spider webs you are seeing are also called "Swirl Marks". they are very shallow scratches in the clear.You need to polish them out.
Here is a car I did that also had swirl marks.
The polish I used was 1Z Paint Polish then followed up with 1Z Metallic Polish. Menzerna is also a polish I use.
Paint Polishes

NoahThePimp87 10-13-2004 08:19 PM

beautiful, very well done, that will help out a lot. Now what kind of pressure are you putting on the buffer, and what kind of buffer is that?

NoahThePimp87 10-13-2004 08:21 PM

nevermind on the buffer question, just saw the link

jonw440 10-13-2004 09:13 PM

beautiful, very well done, that will help out a lot. Now what kind of pressure are you putting on the buffer, and what kind of buffer is that?

The only pressure I use, is the weight of the PC. I use a light touch but polish a little longer than most people. Say 5 minutes on one section. The less pressure you use the easier it is on the buffer,s bearings, the more the polish can work and the less mar marks you may get from pushing to hard. Plus if you push hard you sloww the buffer's orbits.

hustlelikem0fo 10-13-2004 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by jonw440
PC 7424 With Sonus Pads
I have two complete sets of the Lake County pads. They "where my favorites"
Now I use the Sonus Pads.
The Spider webs you are seeing are also called "Swirl Marks". they are very shallow scratches in the clear.You need to polish them out.
Here is a car I did that also had swirl marks.
The polish I used was 1Z Paint Polish then followed up with 1Z Metallic Polish. Menzerna is also a polish I use.
Paint Polishes

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/at...chmentid=40629

looks like you let one loose on your fender.....

jonw440 10-14-2004 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by HustleLikeM0FO

I told you I was extremely happy with 1Z polishes..... :D

bobbyd 10-14-2004 07:02 AM

The black looks good !

civictuner 10-16-2004 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by HustleLikeM0FO

Looks like some shot spearm on ur fender :eek: haha LOL!!!!! :screwy:

MeguiarsEM 10-18-2004 01:15 PM

Sometimes cleaner waxes aren't agressive enought to remove below surface defects like swirls and scratches. You'll need a pure cleaner to take care of spider web and scratches. Try Medallion paint cleaner a few times on the defects. If that doesn't remove the defects you're looking at something that needs to be taken care of by machine. Perhaps a Dual Action polisher. What kind of "buffer" did you use with on you paint? Was it variable speed? Reason i'm asking is sometimes people use the old wheel style buffers and those are fast enough to remove defect and are mainly for applying polishes and waxes. As far as a tire shine Meguiar's Hot Shine is a good one.

Alright, every time i look closely at my paint when it is sunny I see what people say is the spider web effect. I have tried everything! Zymol cleaner wax by hand and orbital, meguiars paste cleaner wax, that eagle 1 polish and wax in one, by hand and orbital. And i have tried some other things including swirl removers.. I have read and studied autopia and many other websites as well. Nothing is giving me the info i need. Can anyone reccomend some product that will take that spider web effect out of the paint and how should i go applying it? Do i need a rotary, orbital, etc?

And does anyone know a good tire gloss?

NoahThePimp87 10-18-2004 01:36 PM

i used one of those orbital buffers that you can buy at like meijer or target. And it is not a variable speed. Its actually a pretty crappy buffer