Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Minor Scratch Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nyc_civicex is an unknown quantity at this point
Minor Scratch Fix?

Hi,

I have a minor scratch on my front bumper of my Magnesium Civic Ex. The scratch is not so deep (only to the clearcoat). Just noticed it about 2 days after picking up from dealer. Dealer told me to bring it in to get it waxed or repainted (a little extreme there...). I dont want them to mess it up more. How can I fix it up? I read that I should just use wax? If so do I just put some wax and buff it in? Any recommendations on wax? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Here is the scratch:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	scratch1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	37211   Click image for larger version

Name:	scratch2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	37212  
Old 09-02-2004
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
ScratchX is the most effective way to remove fine scratches and swirls from automotive paint by hand. This product is guaranteed to deliver the finest results possible by hand (some scratches require removal by machine applied professional formulas). ScratchX removes surface contaminants, oxidation and blemishes as well as enhances paint color. Unlike many paint correction formulas on the market, ScratchX will not leave more scratches than it takes out. It's ideal for use as a quick touch up or to revive a car's entire finish.

^ taken from meguiars.com ^

i would use this along with a pc, and i'm sure it will buff right out.
Old 09-02-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
You're worried over that small scratch? Well there's nothing that will remove it. Some stuff will cover it up, but it will always be there.
Old 09-02-2004
Registered!!

not to mention... that is one scratch of many to come, it's gonna happen no matter what.
Old 09-02-2004
Registered!!

here's an example of what the pc can do, with scratches worse than yours. scroll down ----> http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html
Old 09-02-2004
Nugget Garage Since 2004

Big Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant future
get a little finishing compound, and a buffer and you can get that out. There might be a little mark, but they use heat and abrasion to sand/melt the finish down to fill the scratch. Good luck, cuz thats pretty much ur only option. Wax wont do anything by hand, and neither will scratch x
Old 09-02-2004
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
You're worried over that small scratch? Well there's nothing that will remove it. Some stuff will cover it up, but it will always be there.
This is way wrong. That scratch can be removed very easy. I remove scratches like that just about everyday.

If you are doing it by hand I hear scratchX is the way to go. If you use a nice polisher I would use a mild abrasive polish followed by a light abrasive polish and make sure you but a coat of wax or sealant on as well.

Here is a good example of what I deal with all the time. http://www.danase.com/gallery/album03
Old 09-02-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bobbyd
This is way wrong. That scratch can be removed very easy. I remove scratches like that just about everyday.

If you are doing it by hand I hear scratchX is the way to go. If you use a nice polisher I would use a mild abrasive polish followed by a light abrasive polish and make sure you but a coat of wax or sealant on as well.

Here is a good example of what I deal with all the time. http://www.danase.com/gallery/album03

nice job
Old 09-03-2004
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by rckdrmr
nice job
Thanks!

After re-reading my post I think I sort of sound like a d!ck. Gearbox, that was not my intent.
Old 09-20-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Anyone have a step by step DIY?
Old 09-20-2004
Registered!!

kismylx will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

try these 2 products for fine and heavy scratches thats what I use and it works really well to fill in the fine and heavy scratches..

Novus 2 (Fine scratch remover)

Novus 3 (Heavy scratch remover)

Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

bakuretsu is an unknown quantity at this point
I just bought a tube of Meguiar's ScratchX tonight! Can't wait to try it out.
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

chrisleecool has a spectacular aura aboutchrisleecool has a spectacular aura about
wow u call that a scratch?......and u worry about that ?.......I dun even think anybody would see that or even if they do, they wouldn't be like "wow! u have a scratch!!"..hehe just wax it ...
Old 09-27-2004
Banned

MeguiarsEM is an unknown quantity at this point
Use ScratchX or Deep Crystal Paint cleaner. To get the best results apply the product on a clean and cool surface. Apply a dime size of product onto a clean foam applicator pad or cotton terry towel on the area that's has the scratches, swirl marks, oxidation, and blemishes. Work the product with moderate pressure for about 15-20 seconds or when it becomes really light and thin. Then wipe off with a clean micro-fiber towel or cotton terry towel while it's still fresh. Do not let the product dry!!!