Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

What causes swirls on our car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pnoiracer is an unknown quantity at this point
What causes swirls on our car?

After I washed my car.. I noticed swirls on my clear coat... what causes this? The towel I use to dry my car? or the foam that I use to wash my car?

What is the best product to use to prevent the swirl marks...
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

mogwai will become famous soon enough
It can be a lot of things. For one, when you dry your car, make sure you use 100% terry cloth towels. I would use at least two, because as they get dirty, dust/dirt particles can get lodged into the towel and can act as sandpaper as you use it to dry your car. When you wash your car, make sure you try to rinse all the dust/dirt off the car before scrubbing (the same dirt/sandpaper principle applies here). Try to keep your sponges clean. Lastly, don’t ever use dishwashing soap to wash you car. They are generally more abrasive than car soap and can strip off the coat of wax on your car and scratch up your paint.
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
use a high quality car wash soap, like meguiars gold class or whatever you prefer. to dry you car...i would use the absorber, it doesn't leave swirl marks (i don't like to use terry cloth towels, but a microfiber one instead). then after it's dry... take some quik detailer and a microfiber towel and give it a little shine to remove water spots and what not, and then you can follow up with some wax... if needed. if you've never clayed your car, i would suggest that as well.

Last edited by rckdrmr; 02-14-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
I agree to use a high quality car soap on your car. Do not use dish soap.

Use only clean wash mitts and chamois on your cars finish.

Do not dry the car with towels, they will help contribute to your existing swirls or create new ones.

Use Chamois to dry the car.

When you are washing the car, do it in a cool shaded area, and do not use circular motions when you are soaping the car down. Only use side to side or back and forth motions.

Do not take the car to an automated car wash, the chemicals and the brushes at the car was will create swirls or make existing swril marks worse.

When waxing, only use back and forth or side to side motion. Never use circular motions.

I hope this has helped you.
Old 02-15-2004
Registered!!

yea, I use high quality car soap... but I don't I could prevent swirls by using 100% cotton cloth.. hmm I will go to kragen or something what they have there.. thanks for the info!
Old 02-15-2004
Registered!!

do you guys have swirls on ur car?
Old 02-15-2004
em2

sspem2 has a spectacular aura aboutsspem2 has a spectacular aura about
no. my cars finish is perfect. i clayed my car few weeks ago and man the paint was dirty. i was my car every week and i was surprised. now my car is really clean. my cars finish is as good if not better than when i drove it off the lot.
Old 02-16-2004
Premium Member

I dont have any swirls in my car, but I am a detailer and if I got swirls, I would remove them.
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

thats kool.. how do I remove swirls though? damn I'm jealous of you guys... If I could just turn back time... and only if I just knew..
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

is clay just like polish? I don't really know how it works :-(
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by pnoiracer
is clay just like polish? I don't really know how it works :-(
----> http://www.clay-magic.com

Last edited by rckdrmr; 02-16-2004 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-18-2004
Premium Member

no clay is not a polish. It will remove dirt from the paint but not swirl marks. If you have bad swirl marks, I would pay the money and have a professional detailer remove them for you, otherwise you may make them worse.
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
I dont have any swirls on my paint either i researched the correct way to wash and detail my car when i got it so i didnt have a problem. Its all on how and what you do when washing and drying.
Old 02-18-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
i have swirl marks on my car, but that is from the dumbass that had it b4 me. Either way, she is getting Kandy painted next year.
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

michael_on_18s is an unknown quantity at this point
what color is your car
Old 02-24-2004

southpasdena is an unknown quantity at this point
UM...well u should use a soap made for washing cars, but using dish soap wont harm ne thing, it will just remove any previous wax or polish that was on the car
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

03white5spd4d is an unknown quantity at this point
you dont get swirls by using *certain products*. unfortunately you get swirl marks by using *certain processes*. swirls mark are very common, and they show more easily in dark colors cars like black and blue. in white and silver cars its harder to find, but look under a flourescent light and you will notice them. usually, 99% of swirl marks occur in the wash process. seasoned detailers tend not to wash in a circular motion but rather in a front to back motion and rinse wash mitt after each pass. this and other steps can greatly reduce swirl marks. however once swirl marks are visible you have to options. fill them with a product which is temporary of remove them. or you can polish. when you polish swirl marks you must be certain not to remove to much clearcoat, it is generally better to reduce the appearance of swirl marks and then fill the remaing swirl marks with product. if you have any questions, feel free to ask. btw, i hope to open a detailing shop one day. i used to mobile detail, but now i bartend which takes up my time.
Old 03-08-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by 03white5spd4d
you dont get swirls by using *certain products*. unfortunately you get swirl marks by using *certain processes*. swirls mark are very common, and they show more easily in dark colors cars like black and blue. in white and silver cars its harder to find, but look under a flourescent light and you will notice them. usually, 99% of swirl marks occur in the wash process. seasoned detailers tend not to wash in a circular motion but rather in a front to back motion and rinse wash mitt after each pass. this and other steps can greatly reduce swirl marks. however once swirl marks are visible you have to options. fill them with a product which is temporary of remove them. or you can polish. when you polish swirl marks you must be certain not to remove to much clearcoat, it is generally better to reduce the appearance of swirl marks and then fill the remaing swirl marks with product. if you have any questions, feel free to ask. btw, i hope to open a detailing shop one day. i used to mobile detail, but now i bartend which takes up my time.
drying with towels usually causes them too (swirl marks).
Old 03-08-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by rckdrmr
drying with towels usually causes them too (swirl marks).

very good point. the reason why microfiber should be used exclusively is because of the fibers. the fibers actually hold the dirt so you arent dragging the dirt across the finish. this reduces the chance of getting swirl marks, however it is still possible to get swirl marks. ultimately when touching the paint, use a front to back motion and follow the direction of airflow. use this when washing, apply wax, or polish and so on. do not use buffers unless very familiar unless you want to use the porter cable 7424 which there is almost 0% chance of burning through the paint. I mean to cause damage w/ the porter cable is very, very unlikely. dont fall into the downfall that most ppl fall, using very expensive products. while some product are very very good (ie klasse twins, s100/p21s, nxt wax, megiuar #7/#20/#26, and so on.............) you can get very good results using no name products. achieving near perfect paint is a process. yes some products work better than others, but using cheapo product with good techniques will almost always yield better results than using very $$$ products w/ poor application techniques.
Old 03-08-2004
Registered!!

when washing i use a plush wash mitt, and in between each pass i soak the wash mitt to create more suds and loosen the dirt. next... i use the waterblade and absorber to dry (excellent combo!). finally... quik detailer and microfiber towel (don't like using towels) to finish off the job to get rid of water spots, etc.. leaving it shiny. this technique works great for me, i get excellent results every time!
Old 03-08-2004
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
Everything causes swirls. I have read simply driving around can cause minor scratches from the wind in your finish that your naked eye cannot see! Scary, I know.

what you have to do is prevent them. simply polish and wax your paint. Use products that aren't strong and harmful... alot of what these guys say are right.

I have been to my fair share of 'vette fests and old school car shows where the guys are old farts. You gotta respect them but one thing they don't have energy for is detailing. Most young (import freaks) do though.
Old 03-11-2004
Registered!!

lex990 is an unknown quantity at this point
what ever you do don't use the brush at the car wash, this will put swirls and fine scratches all over your paint. figure everyone knows this but for those who don't now they do
Old 03-11-2004
Registered!!

Ok thanks you guys, I just clayed my car and wax it.. did I have to polish it too? and I don't use brush to was my car LOL I use those foam.. is that OK? and use those micro fibers to dry my car.. at first, I just used cloth that is 100% cotton...

anyway, thanks for giving me idea, knowledge and skills on how to do and use certain things in a right way...
Old 03-11-2004
Registered!!

you only need to polish it if you want to remove paint defects that you couldn't get off with the clay. its your call, but polishing by hand yields marginal results at best. if you ever try to polish by hand, you can use terry cloth applicators for extra ooomph. you did right by claying, claying the paint also makes the wax spread easier so you use less product.
Old 03-11-2004
Registered!!

also.... using quik detailer and a microfiber towel after you've washed, gives a shiny look while removing water spots, dust, contaminants, etc... before it has time to settle. i do it everytime (in between waxing), and get great results and don't have to clay as often!
Old 03-12-2004
Registered!!

I washed my car... and it looked really clean.. and then I clayed it... I can see those contaminants sticking on clay.. those black spot and black dirt are all sticking on the clay.. it really worked.. and my car looks new again.. it wasn't that shiny before I clay and wax... that 5 hours of washing, claying, and waxing has paid off LOL.. really worth it..
Old 03-14-2004
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
no. i believe polish replinishes the paint. it rehydrates your color and paint. wax seals off the polish's resiliance... polishing has nothing really to do with removing paint defectants. hence the word, "pol-ish" which means to make glossy.
Old 03-14-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by AR
no. i believe polish replinishes the paint. it rehydrates your color and paint. wax seals off the polish's resiliance... polishing has nothing really to do with removing paint defectants. hence the word, "pol-ish" which means to make glossy.

im sorry man, but that is not right. a true polish removes paint, as polishing is kinda wetsanding your paint. dont believe find some ultra agressive polish and rub it between your fingers and tell me you dont feel it. Look at 3M and megiuars labels for **aggresive** levels of polishes. you are thinking of glazes, which are products rich in oil. and there is no way to **replenish** paint to make it look glossy, you can remove paint and thus some defects "aka polish" or hide it "wax or glaze". the only way to replenish paint is to use paint, no other way
Old 03-22-2004
Registered!!

albs is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's some info on Compounds, Polishes, and Glazes

http://www.properautocare.com/whatdif.html

Here's some info on removing swirls:

http://www.properautocare.com/removingswirls.html

Removing/Hiding swirls is a very tricky process, especially on black cars (like mine).
I still haven't perfected the process. I'm still trying different techniques and products.

I love the PC 7424, it makes life a lot easier. Anyone who is serious about
detailing their paint should have one.