Engine Management Post information/questions about Engine Management here! It's especially important for Forced Induction (Turbo and SuperCharging) and Engine swaps! What destroys engines are fuel management!

New AEM Piggyback (Seems VERY promising)

Old 06-07-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New AEM Piggyback (Seems VERY promising)

This seems really great. I really like the idea of this. I think a lot of people around here forget that stand alone management is not the answer for everyone. If this unit will allow me to control a turbo setup for daily driving, without problems, then yes I would buy it up right away. Because for a person like me, the AEM EMS has things that I'm paying for that I don't need. It really comes down to per customer needs. Sure maybe it doesn't do things that the EMS DOES do, but who cares, I don't need it, so this product is extremely interesting to me, I can save money on the stuff I don't need AND get what I need done. (P.S. I'm not turbo'd right now, but offering a unit like this brings me one step closer to getting a turbocharged system.)

Also too, Dezod, correct me if I'm wrong, but in your post:

Originally Posted by dezod
... One thing this community is NOT familiar with are piggybacks that work well on closed loop, partial throttle....
are you trying to say that there are GOOD piggybacks out there for other cars, but not for the d17 engine yet? And that the reason people here don't like piggybacks is because we havn't seen a good one for our engines yet?
Old 06-08-2007
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light

Recentrly I've started to think about upgrading my TSI fuel system. For now this AEM unit looks like great alternative, especialy if you thouw in the wire husness.

One shell see the test results, before making final decision.
Old 06-08-2007
Registered!!

FICcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone! A friend linked me up to this thread so I thought I'd say HI. I'm from AEM so If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. BTW I just put the FIC on my 7th gen civic and it fired right up. Runs and drives NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TOO! I have a D17 DX model so I don't have a tach. I'll try to hook up the scan tool shortly to calibrate the RPM speed with the FIC.
Old 06-09-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

That's awesome, I really want to hear more about this unit.

FICcivic, are you turbo'd? When you hooked up this unit it started right up without any studdering or anything?
Old 06-11-2007
Registered!!

Just got back.. Its Monday morning. So far so good.
Eyger
FICcivic, are you turbo'd? When you hooked up this unit it started right up without any studdering or anything?
No, I'm not turbo'd maybe later? The car started right up just like stock. I drove it this whole weekend and never skipped a beat with the A/C ON too! When you first install the unit the fuel/timing maps should be all zero. The car runs like factory just adjust from there..
Old 06-11-2007
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light

On AEM website, it is not listed in avaible products. So no one can buy one yet, I guess.
Old 06-11-2007
Registered!!

It was just released last week.
Old 06-11-2007
Registered!!

I also want to clear something up. There was a typo on the first spec sheet that was sent out. The FIC can control Vtec and MiVec(not variable Mivec) but it can not control Variable valve timing control. Ex: Honda K-series, EVO9 variable Mivec, Vanos, etc. I wanted to make sure nobody was mis-led. We are working on fixing the flyers, spec sheets, etc.. Thank you.

AEM’s F/IC is a PC-programmable piggy-back controller that allows users to retard timing and add fuel to virtually any engine, even on variable cam timing engines (VTEC, iVTEC, VVTi, MiVEC, etc.). The F/IC is the perfect solution for eliminating outdated FMUs and “boost hiding” electronics and is ideal for newer cars with knock detection that have non-factory forced induction systems.

The F/IC uses a vehicle’s factory base map to create calibrations via a powered USB connection to a PC, so drivability and cold start are not affected. Since the F/IC modifies the factory timing patterns it is not necessary to know them in advance. The F/IC can also recalibrate sensors so users can add a MAP sensor for boost without affecting the signal to the ECU.

Since the F/IC is a trim device it will not cause the factory ECU to throw a “check engine” light because it allows the user to intercept and modify the cam and crank inputs. Additional injector drivers allow users to control up to six additional injectors for high-horsepower vehicles. And it works on variable cam timing engines.

Works with latest OBD-2 vehicles including variable valve control
Variable Valve timing controller based on Engine RPM and Load
Old 06-11-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

so no vtec adjustments...
Old 06-11-2007
Registered!!

I see it CAN control vtec, you should be able to ajust it as well.
Old 06-11-2007
Registered!!

YES to vtec adjustment. ex. engagement point 6000rpm 95% throttle.

NO to Variable valve adjustment. It will still work just like factory.
Old 06-11-2007

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

my mistake guys.

thanks for the clear up
Old 06-11-2007
Registered!!

where can I buy one?
Old 06-12-2007

Ya!!!^^^
Old 06-12-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I'm down to be a test car, lol.
Old 06-12-2007
Registered!!

TRIZ I'm down to be a test car, lol.
HAHAHA.. Its okay. I already tested it for you for free!
Old 06-12-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Any word on whether this is good for partial throttle tuning (better than emanage) for our ecu?
Old 06-12-2007
Registered!!

I'm getting a UEGO gauge type wide band controller put on so I can start playing with the fueling. What are the popular aftermarket injectors used for the 7th gens? THANKS guys!
Old 06-12-2007

So i assume you dont know where we can buy one^
Old 06-12-2007
Registered!!

Yiikes.. thats a touchy subject.. Lets just say.. they are available.

I can't tell anyone where to buy one sorry.
Old 06-12-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FICcivic
I'm getting a UEGO gauge type wide band controller put on so I can start playing with the fueling. What are the popular aftermarket injectors used for the 7th gens? THANKS guys!
RSX type S injectors, SRT-4 injectors, or Precision 440's seem to be the most popular injectors used on the d17. I really need to know if this unit will work for a stage 2 n/a cam as far as controlling the idle w/o pulling so much fuel or altering the timing so much it's throwing codes. How fine can you manipulate the tables so you can really make a nice map where you don't have to run rich in some spots to compensate for lean spikes with emanage or VAFC2?
Old 06-12-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by FICcivic
HAHAHA.. Its okay. I already tested it for you for free!
I'd like to see a picture of your unit... aha, you know what I mean. Whats your serial number? A link to photobucket will suffice.
Old 06-14-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FICcivic View Post
RSX type S injectors, SRT-4 injectors, or Precision 440's seem to be the most popular injectors used on the d17. I really need to know if this unit will work for a stage 2 n/a cam as far as controlling the idle w/o pulling so much fuel or altering the timing so much it's throwing codes. How fine can you manipulate the tables so you can really make a nice map where you don't have to run rich in some spots to compensate for lean spikes with emanage or VAFC2?
Ronaldo, The fuel map is 17(load)x20(rpm) 340 points total!! with adjustable break points to suit your needs. ex: 0-9,000 you can adjust it to 0-7,500rpm or you can adjust the break points for more resolution on the bottom end around idle. Minimum fueling adjustment is 0.8% and max is 99.2%.

Now, I've pulled out 5, 10, and 20deg while sitting there at idle and the ECU did NOT throw a check engine light Thats just one of the many killer features of the system. You can pull timing out till the engine stalls and the factory ecu will be happy.
Old 06-14-2007
Registered!!

TRIZ here is a picture... My unit doesn't have a serial number and I'm also using a prototype jumper harness that has the FIC harness wired into it so I didn't have to touch my factory harness at ALL!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P6140005.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	71467  
Old 06-14-2007
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all of the updates FICivic!
Old 06-14-2007
There is gl@ss in my @SS...

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the wiring diagram for this unit as well.

Old 06-14-2007
There is gl@ss in my @SS...

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute

Will this AEM F/IC enable us to run the 577cc injectors or any other injector and not have the idling issue like the emanage?
Old 06-14-2007
Registered!!

I now have full control over close loop fueling. for example.. The stock ecu wants to control the AFR's to 14-15. If you do a mod or add fuel with an external device the stock ecu will try to pull the additional fuel out and it gets to a point that the stock ecu is pull out or adding so much that it will throw a check engine light. BAD

With the FIC you can still have your closed loop fueling at light throttle but as soon as you start to accelerate you can adjust the AFR to whatever you want and the stock ECU will still be happy. This means SMOOTHER transistion for something like a turbo car and still have no check engine light!!!
Old 06-14-2007
Registered!!

I think I'm sold already you gotta PM!
Old 06-14-2007
Registered!!

drew22mader Will this AEM F/IC enable us to run the 577cc injectors or any other injector and not have the idling issue like the emanage?

That will not have any issues with our program. I think my stock injectors are 215cc so if i were to use 577cc I would apply -63% to the entire map since the 577cc are 63% bigger then the factory. The car will run as if the injectors were still stock with maybe some minor fueling adjustments to get it dead on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New AEM Piggyback (Seems VERY promising)