Interior Post about Interior parts, seats, consoles, etc

What are these for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coachJ is an unknown quantity at this point
What are these for?

I would like to know what was supposed to go here and on what trim or what market. The two blank plates left of the 12V socket. The purpose is to see if I can retrofit a microphone and a usb extension for a CarPlay head unit and have a factory look to it. I have done this in the past on a on my e36 m3 I used a cluster dimming switch from a junk yard to fit a mic and put it in an unused slot next to my actual dimmer. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-10-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: What are these for?

those are for heated seats
Old 04-11-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Airborne mode and rocket launchers
Old 04-11-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,295 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

I thought that is where the fog light switch goes?
Old 04-11-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

They aren't being used for anything on your car right now. You can put anything you want there.
Old 04-11-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
I thought that is where the fog light switch goes?
my fog switch went in the empty spot next to where the cruise control main switch would be
Old 04-11-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
They aren't being used for anything on your car right now. You can put anything you want there.
I don't think you understood the question. What i want is to know what OEM parts can fit in there so I can gut the part and stuff it with a microphone for hands free calling
Old 04-11-2019

just drill out a microphone sized hole and mount it flush
Old 04-11-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coachJ
I don't think you understood the question. What i want is to know what OEM parts can fit in there so I can gut the part and stuff it with a microphone for hands free calling
SMH, I know what the question was.

If Honda accessory foglights had been installed, one rectangular blank would be removed and a switch installed in the hole

The entire panel could be removed and replaced with dealer installed accessory ashtray/lighter combo.

Your car appears to have neither of the above accessories installed.
Modify the blanks to your hearts content.
Old 04-11-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If you want to add a headphone jack and use OEM parts I am not sure what OEM parts fit in those slots. As far as I know the 7th gen had no aux option so you would have to try one out of a newer Civic, Accord, Pilot.

You could drill and mount an aux connector though and make it look close to OEM.

Maybe measure the slot and see what dimensions a newer OEM aux cutout is.
Old 04-11-2019
Registered!!

Well with no luck with oem parts to utilize I’m going to try my best with these usb mounts I found on eBay. One will be for usb, the other I’m going to cut the wire and gut it and try to stick a mic in. Should look clean with the black spindly mic cover. Next option would be Drill a whole like mentioned about and glue a mic in. I have tried that before with the M3 in the past but it’s really hard to drill a whole into such a small piece. I remember it always breaking. When it’s done I’ll post some pics. Still haven’t decided what car play unit to get. Debating on if I should shell out more cash for a wireless one or get the $175 Dual CarPlay from Walmart.

Last edited by coachJ; 04-11-2019 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Typos and added details
Old 04-11-2019

Dual isn't a good brand in my opinion.
Check Crutchfield, that's where I got my head unit and front speakers from
Old 04-11-2019

If that usb port is smaller than a switch blank in your console, careful use of a Dremel tool would probably cut a nice hole in a blank to install it

If the mic is down in the same area, will it be able to pick up your voice okay? I sometimes see those hanging off the trim on the side of the windshield or a sunvisor.
In my truck I tucked a mic alongside the trim around the gauges...it's black and not real obvious LOL.

If the car has room for an upper console instead of the simple map lights, that's where Honda puts their microphones

stolen from google images
Old 04-11-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the newest 7th gen is now 13 years old... Do you think there were OEM USB ports in them econoboxes back them? You were a teenager...
Old 04-12-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Back on m 2002, I used one panel for a accent light kill switch (had blue halos at one point in time, and navy base cops didn't like them very much), and the other I made my own USB charging port.
Old 04-13-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
the newest 7th gen is now 13 years old... Do you think there were OEM USB ports in them econoboxes back them? You were a teenager...
you don't understand what im asking either smh. I want what ever OEM part fit there to hold a microphone. That's it. Just part numbers. I never said I want "oem 2001 usb ports" that's idiotic. I said I want to UTILIZE oem parts. I have done this before on a different car. it works good and looks good.
Old 04-13-2019

So again:

Originally Posted by Colin42
just drill out a microphone sized hole and mount it flush
Or like ezone said mount it up higher somewhere else because it will probably be hard to hear you with the microphone that low
Old 04-13-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If that usb port is smaller than a switch blank in your console, careful use of a Dremel tool would probably cut a nice hole in a blank to install it

If the mic is down in the same area, will it be able to pick up your voice okay?
its really hard working with such small thin plastic. I had a hard time doing that with my M3, ended up gutting out a cluster dimmer and installing the mic in it. the mic went right where the wheel was that adjusted the brightness. The mic was basically behind the steering wheel and it picked up my voice just fine so it should be no different where I want to install it on my civic. Im thinking i can just drill a hole the size of the mic like someone mentioned and epoxy it flush from the back
Old 04-15-2019

Originally Posted by coachJ
its really hard working with such small thin plastic.
Thin? I'm guessing you haven't actually taken it apart yet...

The "blanks" are just inserts to fill the holes. Pop one out so you can really see what you have to work with
(you might need to remove entire panel in order to remove a blank from the panel)