Interior Post about Interior parts, seats, consoles, etc

2002 Civic EX Cluster problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic EX Cluster problems?

This car was having problems for over a year, with the tach and speedometer bouncing, when it got too warm behind the dash. Then this spring, I asked my mechanic to replace some bulbs in the cluster. One of their guys was carrying the cluster back to me, when it slipped out of his hand and fell on the concrete floor. They put it back in, but it had a problem with one of the gauges after that. The fuel gauge was sticking at certain points.

So they ordered one used, from Canada and put it in. But since then, it's been developing a bounce in the tach, and the speedometer has been at zero about half the time. Fortunately, we have a GPS on the dash and that provides an accurate speed. But Even WORSE, sometimes this cluster reads WRONG. Like it said I was doing 57 one time on a 75 MPH toll road, and I was doing 80!

The mechanic checked cables and connectors and isn't finding the source, so he called a guy who's an expert and was told that these cars start having cluster problems, after about 125k miles, and the used cluster that they put in, could have been that old too.

So now I don't know WHAT to do.

Does any off shore source sell brand new clusters for these cars? Not too expensively?
Old 12-04-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,294 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: 2002 Civic EX Cluster problems?

Originally Posted by MamaBear2015
was told that these cars start having cluster problems, after about 125k miles
I don't want to flat out call him a liar but I have personally never heard of anything like this and I have now owned four different 7th generation Civics. My current daily has 285k miles and the cluster works perfectly.

Does everything else in the cluster work besides the bouncing tach and wrong speedometer?
Old 12-04-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
I don't want to flat out call him a liar but I have personally never heard of anything like this and I have now owned four different 7th generation Civics. My current daily has 285k miles and the cluster works perfectly.
He's the best, most honest mechanic we've ever found, so let's assume that no one may know.

Does everything else in the cluster work besides the bouncing tach and wrong speedometer?
Yes, the fuel gauge and temp gauge are fine. In fact they were with the original one too. But with the original, the speedometer bounced the most, when hot, and the tach sometimes, when also hot.

With this replacement, the speedometer is out half the time, and inaccurate sometimes.

And my mechanic says that he also tried some kind of contact goop, that's supposed to help the contacts of the connectors, but it hasnt worked.
Old 12-06-2018
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Do you have a scanner you could use to read live data from the ECU? Would like to know if the ECU agrees with the speedo/tach when they're acting funny.
Old 12-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Check out this thread as it may be relevant to your issue: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ch-speedo.html
Old 12-06-2018
Registered!!

Do you have a scanner you could use to read live data from the ECU? Would like to know if the ECU agrees with the speedo/tach when they're acting funny.
I don't have one, but my mechanic does. It's just that they'd have to drive it around for awhile, to observe when it does that, while monitoring the scanner? Is that a safety issue?
Old 12-06-2018
Super Moderator

I would run the cluster diagnostics first that NDNV linked.
Old 12-06-2018
Registered!!

I would run the cluster diagnostics first that NDNV linked.
Thanks! Printing it out and will do! The only thing I don't know, is that this is happening at random, and the diagnostic may not catch it?
Old 12-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

My 2003 cluster starts to fail showing the odometer when it’s been baking in the Texas sun.

After about 10-15 minutes with ac going it will start to show up again so thermal issues are possible “random reasons”

whole point of the cluster check is to is to see if it’s the cluster acting up or the data going to it being flakey.
Old 12-20-2018
Registered!!

This doesn't look good. I turn the ignition on sometimes, before even driving, and the tach starts bouncing.

Do they sell new clusters for this car?

If so, is it hard to spec them specifically?