Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

Replacement Ignition Lock Cylinder not working, cant program key

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jmccornack is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacement Ignition Lock Cylinder not working, cant program key

I have a 2001 Civic DX Coupe with a manual transmission. A few days ago, the ignition would not turn, and the steering wheel was locked. I ordered a whole used OEM ignition lock and immobilizer off of ebay, which came with the correct key. I installed it fairly easily, with no real problems. The new ignition seems to work, it cranks the car without starting it, as it should. the dashboard flashes the correct key icon, showing that the transponder key does not match. I then called a locksmith as planned, to come program the key. after many attempts, he was unable to get the key programmed. He believes that there is something faulty with the signalling in the new ignition. However, after re-watching some Youtube videos on installing this thing, several say that you need to unplug the battery fist, which I did not do. Do you think I screwed up the installation? or did I just buy a bad used ignition? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-27-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Replacement Ignition Lock Cylinder not working, cant program key

A hard reset (battery disconnect) would be a good idea. Hard to say with used parts if they are good.
Old 07-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

the key + ring + ECU all need to be correct.

If you still have your old unit, see if you can dissemble the lock and pull all the pins out and then reinstall it back into your car.
Old 08-07-2019
Registered!!

05DESIGNERDX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
the key + ring + ECU all need to be correct.

If you still have your old unit, see if you can dissemble the lock and pull all the pins out and then reinstall it back into your car.

Hey I am very new here. By no means a mechanic. Having the exact same issue. Which I'm now realizing is fairly typical.
I have an 05 Civic coupe, automatic. I have been reading this everywhere. My father was trying to convince me I could basically plug in the swapped ignition lock cylinder and start it no problem. I was gifted an entire steering column, from the same model but with manual transmission that was going to scrap. I have the ECU as well but I'm guessing I'm still SOL as it would vary from the automatic? Can you help me understand the difference in purchasing a new ignition lock cylinder from the dealership (how does the dealer cylinder know the ring and ecu? This must be programmed somewhere) and then programming a key? Is it at all possible to have the ECU etc programmed to said swapped Ignition lock cylinder?

Apologize for the barrage of questions but can't wrap my head around a way to make this work lol, anyone?
Old 08-07-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Super dealer techs like few on this board can take the correct factory replacement ignition assembly and re-pin the lock to work with the original key.

They also wont need have a issue with the ring as again they are going to get the correct part for that exact car.

What everyone else runs into problems with is there are differences between years and configurations and ECU/PCM that keeps you from just being able to swap “ring” with key and computer. Likely a frequency difference between keys and the ring and data sent to the ECU.

Your absolute cheapest option is to remove the original lock and simply remove the pins if it’s jamming.
Sure anything can turn the ignition at that point but without the coded key the fuel pump will not turn on.
Old 09-16-2019
Registered!!

MaryBrock is an unknown quantity at this point

Ignition assembly replacement and to re-pin the lock by own to work with the original key isn't easy. For that case, you can take help from locksmith or dealer to get work done perfectly.
Old 09-22-2019
Registered!!

Trung Nguyen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

i just placed 2001 Honda Civic ECU and ignition immobilizer It came with a set of new keys. After replacing it I started the car it worked fine for a couple days . Today I go to turn it on and I get the greenlight . Why?