Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacing ignition - part questions

Old 11-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03blkcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing ignition - part questions

Hello,

My key is having a hard time entering the lock and none of my doors allow the key to be pushed in the lock without a struggle. I was looking at getting my ignition fixed, but it looks like a locksmith wants about $400 to repair it and a new key, but I was looking at a part for all four locks and it looks like two new keys for only $380. Part 06350-S5A-A20 looks like it includes the ignition, two new (cut) keys, and 4 locks. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-11-2017
Registered!!

04 blue civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Replacing ignition - part questions

Key is “coded” to ECM. Therefore even buying new lock cylinder and two keys still has to be programmed.

Are you saying key doesn’t work in doors or ignition lock cylinder? You have mentioned both items in your post. However the part number you provided is for lock cylinder assembly. $400 for a lock smith to replace the lock cylinder and reprogram is a reasonable price IMO. Dealers usually charge a minimum of one hr labor.
Old 11-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you purchase and install that lock set, the keys still have to be programmed to the car. That means a tow truck for most DIY people (and many shops who don't have the necessary equipment), plus the cost for programming.

I retumble those locks. Pull em apart and replace all of the wafers, reassemble.
If it needs a key (many I see are simply worn out) then there's additional expense for the key and programming of course.

In my small town the local lock shop has not invested money in "foreign" cars.....the dealer is the only one who has tumblers to fix the locks and can program the keys.
Old 11-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Off the wall idea, remove the pins and problem solved.

Would you really be concerned any key could open your door and turn on your ignition?

Might make a funny moment if someone mistakes your car for theirs in a parking lot, but otherwise your saving $380 plus @ $150 for programming.
Old 11-12-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Would you really be concerned any key could open your door and turn on your ignition?
^What he said^

Even if someone got in and turned the ignition on, the engine can't run without the correctly programmed immobilizer key.
Old 11-14-2017
Registered!!

rockyrock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Off the wall idea, remove the pins and problem solved.

Might make a funny moment if someone mistakes your car for theirs in a parking lot, but otherwise your saving $380 plus @ $150 for programming.
Does this mean that any sidewinder key could unlock door & trunk or any shaved down popsicle stick?

I have an issue where my ignition was replaced but the door and trunk tumblers weren't. It now requires two key operation--which means I'm carrying one and hoping my fob doesn't die... I would be fine mod'ing the doors/trunk to work with any key. TBH my main goal is avoiding removing the door tumblers to rekey--it looks too time consuming.
Old 11-14-2017

Originally Posted by rockyrock
Does this mean that any sidewinder key could unlock door & trunk or any shaved down popsicle stick?
Quite literally, anything that fits in the slot would be able to turn an unpinned (tumblers removed) cylinder.

I have an issue where my ignition was replaced but the door and trunk tumblers weren't. It now requires two key operation--which means I'm carrying one and hoping my fob doesn't die... I would be fine mod'ing the doors/trunk to work with any key. TBH my main goal is avoiding removing the door tumblers to rekey--it looks too time consuming.
If you want to remove all the tumblers from the door lock cylinders, they still have to be removed to do it.
Old 11-14-2017
Registered!!

rockyrock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone

If you want to remove all the tumblers from the door lock cylinders, they still have to be removed to do it.
Damn.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Would powdered graphite lube be worth trying first to see if it frees up the locks/ignition switch?
Old 11-15-2017

Originally Posted by NDNV
Would powdered graphite lube be worth trying first to see if it frees up the locks/ignition switch?
Not normally, because by the time someone has a problem it's because the tumblers (and possibly key) are already worn and (at least one) tumbler tries to move laterally (and jams) instead of moving longitudinally.

But it's worth a shot......If it's the ignition lock that jammed and a dose of lube actually works and the car can be started---- you need to drive it immediately to get it fixed. No detours, do not shut it off...because it will jam again very soon and you'll probably be stranded needing a tow truck.

Sometimes a rarely used key can get a lock to work for a minute too, as the most used key is more worn.

Search this Thread