Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Code P0497 and can anyone tell if my headgasket is leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlexFromCali is an unknown quantity at this point
Code P0497 and can anyone tell if my headgasket is leaking?

Evaporation Emission System Low Purge Flow
1/2

The car runs perfectly, my sister has been driving past few weeks. Cleared the code 3 weeks ago and it shows up today.

The 2004 honda civic 4 door d17a1 automatic has a bunch/few oil leaks.
Quality Tune Up said oil pan, I think head gasket.

There's also oil on top of the block where the EGR valve is? Water passage or whatever. Not sure what fixes that, I did a gasket kit on my old honda and still had clean oil pooling up ontop.

If anyone could answer
-Source of CEL code
-Source of oil leak on top of the engine where the egr valve is
-If head gasket looks like probable source of oil from underneath cylinder head block.

I do manage to catch a bit of oil under the crank pulley, i'll do the pulley seal if i do the head gasket. But the amount of oil opposite to the crank makes me believe it's a head gasket. The little ammount of oil on the crank pulley can be head gasket oil splashed around or infact leaky crank seal.

Thanks guys, and Rice, thanks in advance

I'm having my sister go to quality tune up for an oil and filter change maybe they'll mention the oil pan like originally, or this time the head gasket.

Thanks. I wont have time to fix it till 12/08 when the semester for school is over.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TgX4OUcA5dEUSOo1_xqOBO4BQCVPm1k0/view?usp=sharing https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TgX...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TgX...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by AlexFromCali; 11-14-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Code P0497 and can anyone tell if my headgasket is leaking?

Originally Posted by AlexFromCali
Evaporation Emission System Low Purge Flow
P0497: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0497

Source of CEL code
Possibilties in link above.

Source of oil leak on top of the engine where the egr valve is
Cam plug (end cap) or valve cover gasket

If head gasket looks like probable source of oil from underneath cylinder head block.
Doubtful. Most likely from cam plug or valve cover gasket. Post pics of oil leaks.

i'll do the pulley seal
If you're going to replace that seal and it's been 80k miles or more since last timing belt kit: timing belt, water pump, tensioner, accessory belts..then might as well replace those too at the same time.
Old 11-14-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
P0497: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0497

Possibilties in link above.

Cam plug (end cap) or valve cover gasket

Doubtful. Most likely from cam plug or valve cover gasket. Post pics of oil leaks.

If you're going to replace that seal and it's been 80k miles or more since last timing belt kit: timing belt, water pump, tensioner, accessory belts..then might as well replace those too at the same time.
Thank you sir. Video is uploaded bottom of the post. Sorry its 250mb so i had to use google drive. Didn't want to compress.
Can you suggest any symptoms that may occur if the purge valve is left as is?? It's 21 bucks to replace.
I might do the head gasket kit over winter so atleast then I can wait until the rings and bearings go.
Old 11-14-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Test method on the videos on the first post of you want to know if you really need head gasket.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 11-14-2017
Registered!!

Any idea if a compression test would work just as good if not better? How would I be able to tell the difference between bad head gasket versus bad piston rings. Is that tube running from the drain or where?
Old 11-14-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Read link posted, for your answer on compression test.
It does not.
Old 11-15-2017
Registered!!

So assuming the Low Purge Flow is due to faulty purge valve it should be a straight forward fix? Any symptoms if left unfixed?

One guy on youtube replaced the solenoid/valve but it turned out his gas cap was the culprit.

I just ordered a 8$ cap, before I spend the 30$ for the solenoid. I don't have a smoke test so I'm not going to pull off the canister and look for leaks like that.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to wipe up any oil and see where it collects in the next few days. She doesn't burn oil but she sure is leaking.
Old 11-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Replacing the EVAP purge solenoid in the engine bay and the camshaft end cap by the EGR valve should solve both issues.

Also this engine is notorious for bad head gaskets so keep that in mind - you may want to test now instead of waiting until an overheat situation and warp the head.
Old 11-15-2017
Registered!!

NDNV I appreciate your knowledgeable response. Thank you. Head gaskets are easy as **** on these 1.7ls might as well. My 140k Honda head gasket split in half upon removal, this 180k one will be fun to tear apart. I did the timing belt like 60k ago should I replace or let it run for 20k more
Old 11-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know about knowledgeable - maybe just enlightened by visiting great forums like this one with mechanical experts (you know who you are). My background is in fleet finance but my hobby is knowing how vehicles work - especially ones I own and have to pay for!
Jeez if you are going to do the HG (thermostat and new coolant) and your perception of this job is easy, then do the TB, accessory belts, WP, tensioner and both cam and crank seals at the same time - especially if your sister intends to keep running it and the body is not rotting out.