Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Help with ignition replacement 05 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam Phillips is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with ignition replacement 05 Civic

So my key wouldn't turn and my steering wheel was locked. Tried rocking it and turning and tried WD-40. Called local delearship and they wanted nearly 800$ to fix it. I have already managed to remove the bad ignition lock and cylinder switch myself. I've found the part online for around 300$. I'm fairly confident in my ability to install it. Will it turn over once I install the new part or am I going to be forced to take it to a dealership anyway? Keep seeing stuff about something needing to be programmed but I can't find jack specifically to the 2005 Civic. When I install the new ignition will I be back on the road or do I have to deal with a delearship for some sort of programming. If so what needs to be programmed. My key doesn't look like it has a chip so I'm confused
Old 08-30-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help with ignition replacement 05 Civic

Any replacement unit will require programming before the engine will run. Yes your keys have a 'chip' in them.

If you managed to get your lock off the column, take it a couple steps further and disassemble the lock cylinder (if you cannot do it, any decent lock shop can) remove the tumblers so the key will turn again. Keep your original keys and lock and reinstall all of it.

If you remove ALL of the tumblers it won't ever be able to jam again, and anything will be able to turn the lock BUT the engine still can't run without the correct immobilizer key.