Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Difficulty w/lower control arms (L & R)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019
1st time Honda owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EX2002Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Difficulty w/lower control arms (L & R)

Ok....so I'm changing the bushings on both control arms, however, I am having trouble removing the control arm from the ball joints on both sides.

I've tried beating on the control arm to lossen it up, along with prying on it. I've also rented a ball joint removal tool from Auto Zone and nothing.

I'm guessing all the rust from what I can see throughout the rest of the car is what might be causing this. Any help will be much appreciated.

Next thing is I'm going to try is heat it up. Otherwise I will end up cutting it off and then dealing with having to replace the link from the sway bar...trying to avoid that.

*side note - the other bolts are no issues and have been removed.

Again, TIA
Old 01-16-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Difficulty w/lower control arms (L & R)

Spray PB Blaster or Seafoam Deep Creep on the ball joint/control arm area and let it soak in for 30 minutes. After that grease (synthetic grease preferably) the ball joint separator fork end on both sides then use a mini sledge hammer instead of a regular (16 ounce) hammer to tap on the ball joint separator. I've used this method a few times..it works well and doesn't damage the ball joint boot.

If that doesn't work this video may help:

Last edited by Wankenstein; 01-16-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2019
1st time Honda owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EX2002Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much! I WAS able to remove the ball joint by removing the control arm and the spindle being attached together. Unfortunately the boot was damaged, and I think it was when I fought with the ball joint for a couple of hours honestly.
Now, in theory, I assume the boot and only the boot can be replaced seeing that the joint itself still functions just fine. Am I wrong for assuming this or can anyone tell me if they have replaced only the boot on their existing ball joint.
Thanks again in advanc!
Old 01-17-2019
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i have never heard of changing only the boot, you might as well replace the complete ball joints while your at it,

heck, if your unsure of how many miles are on the wheel bearings, i would replace those too while your at it
Old 01-17-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

mine took a week, removal tool in, everyday a blast of PB blast and tighten the tool a little further.
one day, suddenly, bang! when i went to the garage, it was out
Old 01-18-2019
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i have always used the "fork" type tool for ball joint removal.

i remove the ball joint nut, then i put my hydralic jack underneath the threaded end of the ball joint and jack it up a few inches which compresses the suspension a bit, this gives you a better angle for the fork,

i put the fork in there and hammer away on it with a sledge hammer,

it has never taken me longer then 5 mins to remove even the most rusted and stubborn ball joints,

the only negative is, the fork tool normally destroys the ball joint boot,

but any time i am removing a ball joint i am normally replacing it anyway