Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

2002 Civic pulls left when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robjcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic pulls left when accelerating

Our 2002 Civic out of the blue has just begun pulling to the left while accelerating. It's never done this before. It's not yanking it into the next lane but it's firm and very noticeable. I searched the web and it seems like it's not an uncommon complaint. Most responses point to suspecting tires but only some people have reported the problem solved by swapping tires around or replacing tires. I'm certainly going to take a good look at them and move them around.
I'm looking for other things to check while I'm at it. Is this something that bad compliance bushings can cause, bad motor/trans mount, ball joints?

Thanks-
Rob
Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 2002 Civic pulls left when accelerating

sounds like you know what to check.
Hard to diagnose top transmission mount but if that one goes it usually leaves of huge mess as it’s filled with some sort fluid.

Being out of alignment can also present as torque steer.
Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robjcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

150k miles. I'm likely going to be changing the bushings and ball joints anyway.
Old 08-07-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but only some people have reported the problem solved by swapping tires around
Check tire pressures first and adjust if necessary. (all 4 tires)
Then swap the two front tires side to side. This costs nothing and answers a lot of questions right off the bat.

If it now pulls to the opposite side, it's tires.
If it still pulls to the same side, it's not tires. Keep looking.
Old 08-07-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

take a look at your tie rods ends while you have wheels off. I had a FUBAR'd tie rod end that ended up being loose in the little socket it sits in on the strut (don't ask. luckily didn't damage the strut, somehow). Caused very similar issues. Replaced it with a brand new one and had no issues after that.