Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Wheel shake after eBay coilover sleeve install

Old 04-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03_EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheel shake after eBay coilover sleeve install

Ok I knew it was a risky idea with the eBay coilover sleeves so please don’t mention that part. My problem is after all was said and done on the install I had a bad tie rod end but decided to rig it up to work for a nights to get me home. Things went south and the wheel started to death wobble, at first it was mainly on deceleration but then progressed to doing it constantly. Limped it a few more miles then a wheel stud snapped from the wheel constantly wobbling, after the stud snapped I stopped and had it towed home. The next day I replaced the tie rod end, all four studs on my driver side, and replaced the lower ball joint since it was also no good anymore. Now after all those parts were replaced I drove it a few miles (ride quality is terrible as expected from a $20 investment) but my wheel still ended up wobbling and once I finally limped it home again I noticed all four lugs had come loose and they had been torqued to spec before the final test drive. The only thing that remains damaged to my eye is my wheel where the studs wallowed out the holes so now there oval instead of round. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing it to still wobble? The passenger side is still all stock components and hasn’t given any issues yet.
Old 05-01-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Wheel shake after eBay coilover sleeve install

The lugs keep the wheel centric to the hub. If the holes are not round and the lugs not seated properly then it can cause wobble.

Does it happen if you swap over a good wheel?
Old 05-01-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Check the hole in the strut the tie rod sits in, too. Death wobble could've opened that up, too. That hole isn't a straight hole; it's tapered at the bottom.
Old 05-01-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
The lugs keep the wheel centric to the hub. If the holes are not round and the lugs not seated properly then it can cause wobble.

Does it happen if you swap over a good wheel?
Only got my set of 17x9s and was a little worried about swapping a good wheel to the front just in case it was the wheel I didn’t wanna damage anything else. When we changed my studs the guy that set them didn’t knock them all the way into place but I took my spare wheel and tightened down on the lugs as hard as I can to maybe finish pulling g the studs out into place. @Riceboy I didn’t think to check the hole where the tie rod end goes but when we were replacing the tie rod end I didn’t notice any damage or wallowing on it. I checked for play in the tie rod end but it’s also tight.

Last edited by 03_EM2; 05-01-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-01-2018
Registered!!

So I glanced at it this morning before I left for work and the hole in the strut for the tie rod end looks fine, no fresh shiny metal, no wallowing. But Riceboy I see you said it’s tapered? Could you possibly show a pic describing this taper?
Old 05-01-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

So your studs were not installed propery!?! This was not mentioned on the first post. I would remove everything and check at this point. Aftermarket wheels so you are using aftermarket lug nuts correct?

Was the lower ball joint installed properly? With a new c clip and it’s seated all the way in?
Old 05-01-2018
Registered!!

So your studs were not installed propery!?! This was not mentioned on the first post. I would remove everything and check at this point. Aftermarket wheels so you are using aftermarket lug nuts correct?

Was the lower ball joint installed properly? With a new c clip and it’s seated all the way in?
I didn’t mention the studs on first post because overall they were installed properly, only one was not in all the way, once it was noticed we did all we could without taking the knuckle off again. I’m feeling positive on the studs. The lower ball joint was installed properly with a new c clip. I do have aftermarket lugs and I’ve considered the fact that they could be stripped out.
Old 05-01-2018
Registered!!

Included is a pic of the wheel that took the damage
Old 05-01-2018
Prelude Owner

Okay so you are going to have to start ruling things out.

Do you have spare wheel you can put on the car? OEM wheel, spare in the trunk?

I would remove the wheel and check to make sure where the tie rod goes is not out of round. Check the top strut mount make sure it didn't get damaged from the wobble.
Old 05-01-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

wait, you first installed the suspension with the sleeves, right? Then the wheel wobble started? Potentially it was not tightened enough and all hell went loose from there?

or something was not right with suspension install? If so, check every bolt you loosened and also what you did not.
Old 05-01-2018
Registered!!

Okay so you are going to have to start ruling things out.

Do you have spare wheel you can put on the car? OEM wheel, spare in the trunk?

I would remove the wheel and check to make sure where the tie rod goes is not out of round. Check the top strut mount make sure it didn't get damaged from the wobble.
Ok so I got home put on the spare tire on and drove it around a couple blocks, made sure to accelerate hard some to put a little stress in the wheel and the roads are already bumpy around here so the suspension got a little test too. I didn’t feel any wobble at all. When I got home a checked all lugs to make sure they were tight and none were loose. The spot where the tie rod goes through looks good and so does the top of the strut mount. I’m starting to feel like I can come to the conclusion that it’s the one wheel causing the problem.. at least from what I’ve come across so far
Old 05-01-2018
Prelude Owner

Cool!! Sounds like the wheel was the issue that went bad due to the initial wobble from the tie rod.
Old 05-02-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

looks like you have your issue figured out (full disclosure, too lazy to read the responses after you asked about the tapered hole. It's been a long *** day. lol)

To answer you question you had for me about the tapered hole, I drew it up on my tablet. The tapered hole in the strut has been drawn exaggerated to illustrate what I was talking about.
Name:  7iTlNLf.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  29.5 KB
Old 05-02-2018
Registered!!

Well unfortunately it’s time to retire the 17s then. Kinda a blessing and a curse with these things. Get all kinds of comments but they always rub lol. Really appreciate the feedback and help guys! And back @Riceboy i understand what you’re talking about now, when we remove it I didn’t even notice that it was tapered, just to be 1000% sure it’s not the tie rod end again I’ll pop it out this afternoon and put it back in making sure it sits properly in that hole. Just for safe measure, don’t need my wheel almost falling off...for the third time.

Last edited by 03_EM2; 05-02-2018 at 05:10 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-02-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
wait, you first installed the suspension with the sleeves, right? Then the wheel wobble started? Potentially it was not tightened enough and all hell went loose from there?

or something was not right with suspension install? If so, check every bolt you loosened and also what you did not.
Every bolt from top strut mounts all the way to the lowest point of the knuckle has been checked. Strut bolts are tight, brakes are tight, every nut and bolt has been gone over to make sure.
Old 05-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Glad to hear you found the issue.

Good luck! :P