Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

shake shake shake . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DaSilverCivic will become famous soon enough
shake shake shake . . .

1. about 70mph and above, the steering starts to vibrate. correct me if i'm wrong, i assume i need my tires to be re balanced???

2. braking from high speed (not hard, stopping normally at a red light) steering wheel also vibrates... mechanic states brakes are fine, no warping etc. has plenty of life left. my stupid **** never mentioned the vibrating thing...

is it possible it's just the tires that could coz the vibrating at high speeds and braking . . .? any inputs . .

thanks
Old 07-06-2007
Registered!!

Re: shake shake shake . . .

anyone??
Old 07-06-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

The things that I know of that could cause this are:
Tire out of balance,
Tire with flat spot,
Tire unevenly worn,
warped rotors,
Unevenly worn brake pads,
Not likely but possible, trash on the drive line.

But since you say It does this while going down the road, NO brake applied. I am prone to suspect tire problems. Do you have mud or some thing on the inside of you wheels? Do you have some rocks behind your hubcaps, that is if you have hubcaps. Maybe you threw a weight and just need to have them rebalanced.

I suggest looking at your tires and wheels clean them front and rear, check the where and inflation then get them rebalanced. After that if the problem persists it will have to be brake related. Replace the pads then the rotors. If it is still there, you might have some wire or something twisted up or stuck on your drive shafts but that would be the least likely of them all.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tire-problems.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	71701   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.3_wear_problems.gif
Views:	76
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	71702  
Old 07-06-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

^Brake rotors do not warp, they get deposits of brake dust and dirt hardened into the surface....

go back the the wheels/tires/brakes forum, scroll down and click on my thread that says "myths about brakes"

You will find a TON of good infomation about brakes in the link I posted.

As for balancing the tires on your car, take it to the nearest americas's tire, and tell them that you are a frequent customer, beause you get free balancing and rotation when you buy tires from them. If you don't have one near you, then it's all good, the balancing isn't all that expensive.
Old 07-06-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Since someone is a lazy bum, I will post the link for you.
Here it is:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

And here is the link to his thread, if you want to visit...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ut-brakes.html
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Brake rotors can warp- just about 99% of the cars on here wont ever see it.

If you do hard breaking, come to a complete stop- and hold the pads on the rotor, thats when you get the heat spots, which a lot of ppl mistake as warped rotors. This is probably somewhere in the "myths about brakes" write up.
Old 07-06-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

well.. since i say, you are braking and feeling a vibe, i tell customers it's a problem with their, brakes, they say no! i balance their wheels, and a week later it was a brake component... so inspect, and and check for bends in wheel, it wont be a flat spot on tire. look for separation of tread, tire out of round... you may have a bad tire. so i say roll to a local DTC or ATC and have them fix it, if they cant, goto a brake shop....DTC FTW!
Old 07-06-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Brake rotors can warp- just about 99% of the cars on here wont ever see it.
Agreed. Turned plenty of rotors when I worked my second job as a mechanic that were warped. You could literally see them shimmy on the brake lathe. Of course they were on bigger vehicles then a Honda, but it is possible to warp the rotors. Even torquing a wheel down incorrectly can warp them.
Old 07-09-2007
Registered!!

thanks for all the info. i'll keep you all updated