Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Where to find suspension bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greenbean209 is an unknown quantity at this point
Where to find suspension bolts?

I'm fixing to rebuild my front suspension on my 01. It's been handling sloppily lately, creaking, and popping over small bumps. I know there are multiple problems so I'm gonna do everything at once (bushings, tie rod ends, struts, ball joint maybe).

One thing I'm leery of is braking bolts in the process I know they rust up with as much as they get exposed to. I can find the needed bolts oem bolts from Magestic Honda and fork over $35 bucks for a total of 8 bolts. But I was curious if I really needed to go oem for the bolts? I cant seem to find the specific bolts when I look elsewhere. FYI I'm looking for the control arm bolts and the bolts connecting the strut to the knuckle.

I'm looking at doing my rear end next so having a good and cheap source will be nice.
Old 10-21-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Where to find suspension bolts?

I'd recommend going OEM as much as possible, since you KNOW the parts are gonna work. Honda's e-store has a dealer pick-up option, so you might save more there with the free shipping. You can check rockauto.com for alternative parts if you really want to save a few bucks.
Old 10-21-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You need bolts that are the same grade also. OEM is always best and less hassle.

I doubt you will break a suspension bolt though. They are tough and can take a lot.
Old 10-21-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Haven't heard about anyone trying universal bolts either, so sorry, nothing from me... I got them from dealer myself.
If you find one that works well and are durable enough, good.
The issue is when you pull the short straw... Suspension parts breaking tends to be... catastrophic, so few adventures into that.

If someone knows, might be the ones that does crapcan racing, like Lemons (safer environment when something happens, AKA the ambulance is not far away...)

But really, nothing that i have heard...
Old 10-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i would recommend soaking the bolts in PB Blaster for a day then going at them with a breaker bar or pneumatic air gun if you have one.
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i would recommend soaking the bolts in PB Blaster for a day then going at them with a breaker bar or pneumatic air gun if you have one.
I wish people would give their locations more, PB blaster is not necessary out here in Cali, it was very necessary for everything when I lived in NJ.

Just saying, it depends if you live in the rust-belt.
Old 10-22-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
I wish people would give their locations more, PB blaster is not necessary out here in Cali, it was very necessary for everything when I lived in NJ.
No kidding! That's just one more thing I don't miss about the TN/KY area.
Old 10-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen

Just saying, it depends if you live in the rust-belt.
yeah i thought about that before i posted but i figured better safe then sorry. my dad just bought a 1965 t bird in california and it still had stock paper tags underneath the car.
Old 10-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Before doing anything. Hit them with a spray of PB Blaster. Then do a little brush with a 1/2" wide stainless steel rust brush. Then another shot of PB. This will solve a lot of problem because usually the problem is above the nut. If the internal nut and where it goes on the male threads looks bad, you need to replace them. I would bite the bullet on the $35 . You are trying to engineer things when you try to make sure grade 8 metric fasteners from a bolt supplier. No soft non graded HomeDepot . 8 are 100,000 psi tensile rust resistant ... non grade could be as little as 20,000 psi tensile .
Old 10-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by greenbean209

One thing I'm leery of is braking bolts in the process I know they rust up with as much as they get exposed to.
i highly doubt you will break a suspension bolt given their size and strength,

in the odd chance you do i would replace with OEM, suspension bolts are very critical, you dont want a cheap bolt snapping while doing 50+ mph,

considering the amount of work you are doing, isn't an extra couple of bucks worth it for peace of mind?
Old 10-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikey1
i highly doubt you will break a suspension bolt given their size and strength,

in the odd chance you do i would replace with OEM, suspension bolts are very critical, you dont want a cheap bolt snapping while doing 50+ mph,

considering the amount of work you are doing, isn't an extra couple of bucks worth it for peace of mind?
I lowered my 4600 lb Volvo Wagon with Home Depot bolts and then towed a 3 to 4000 lb trailer behind it and they did not even bend or anything. I am not trying to argue here, but I think the strongest ones at HD (black oxide usually I think) are pretty good for a lot of things.
Old 10-28-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Bolt strength is a concern during crashes also not just in daily use. The amount of force that is applied to a vehicle in an accident is insanely high.

My SPC camber bolts are grade 12.9.