Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/335-suspension)
-   -   Where to find suspension bolts? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/335-suspension/365581-where-find-suspension-bolts.html)

greenbean209 10-21-2015 10:16 AM

Where to find suspension bolts?

I'm fixing to rebuild my front suspension on my 01. It's been handling sloppily lately, creaking, and popping over small bumps. I know there are multiple problems so I'm gonna do everything at once (bushings, tie rod ends, struts, ball joint maybe).

One thing I'm leery of is braking bolts in the process I know they rust up with as much as they get exposed to. I can find the needed bolts oem bolts from Magestic Honda and fork over $35 bucks for a total of 8 bolts. But I was curious if I really needed to go oem for the bolts? I cant seem to find the specific bolts when I look elsewhere. FYI I'm looking for the control arm bolts and the bolts connecting the strut to the knuckle.

I'm looking at doing my rear end next so having a good and cheap source will be nice.

Poopies 10-21-2015 12:49 PM

Re: Where to find suspension bolts?

I'd recommend going OEM as much as possible, since you KNOW the parts are gonna work. Honda's e-store has a dealer pick-up option, so you might save more there with the free shipping. You can check rockauto.com for alternative parts if you really want to save a few bucks.

GolNat 10-21-2015 06:48 PM

You need bolts that are the same grade also. OEM is always best and less hassle.

I doubt you will break a suspension bolt though. They are tough and can take a lot.

sdaidoji 10-21-2015 09:34 PM

Haven't heard about anyone trying universal bolts either, so sorry, nothing from me... I got them from dealer myself.
If you find one that works well and are durable enough, good.
The issue is when you pull the short straw... Suspension parts breaking tends to be... catastrophic, so few adventures into that.

If someone knows, might be the ones that does crapcan racing, like Lemons (safer environment when something happens, AKA the ambulance is not far away...)

But really, nothing that i have heard...

lowlife9 10-21-2015 09:41 PM

i would recommend soaking the bolts in PB Blaster for a day then going at them with a breaker bar or pneumatic air gun if you have one.

Mad Dog Tannen 10-22-2015 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by lowlife9 (Post 4695766)
i would recommend soaking the bolts in PB Blaster for a day then going at them with a breaker bar or pneumatic air gun if you have one.

I wish people would give their locations more, PB blaster is not necessary out here in Cali, it was very necessary for everything when I lived in NJ.

Just saying, it depends if you live in the rust-belt.

Poopies 10-22-2015 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen (Post 4695831)
I wish people would give their locations more, PB blaster is not necessary out here in Cali, it was very necessary for everything when I lived in NJ.

No kidding! That's just one more thing I don't miss about the TN/KY area.

lowlife9 10-24-2015 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen (Post 4695831)

Just saying, it depends if you live in the rust-belt.

yeah i thought about that before i posted but i figured better safe then sorry. my dad just bought a 1965 t bird in california and it still had stock paper tags underneath the car.

RIPSAW 10-25-2015 07:06 AM

Before doing anything. Hit them with a spray of PB Blaster. Then do a little brush with a 1/2" wide stainless steel rust brush. Then another shot of PB. This will solve a lot of problem because usually the problem is above the nut. If the internal nut and where it goes on the male threads looks bad, you need to replace them. I would bite the bullet on the $35 . You are trying to engineer things when you try to make sure grade 8 metric fasteners from a bolt supplier. No soft non graded HomeDepot . 8 are 100,000 psi tensile rust resistant ... non grade could be as little as 20,000 psi tensile .

mikey1 10-26-2015 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by greenbean209 (Post 4695718)

One thing I'm leery of is braking bolts in the process I know they rust up with as much as they get exposed to.

i highly doubt you will break a suspension bolt given their size and strength,

in the odd chance you do i would replace with OEM, suspension bolts are very critical, you dont want a cheap bolt snapping while doing 50+ mph,

considering the amount of work you are doing, isn't an extra couple of bucks worth it for peace of mind?

Mad Dog Tannen 10-26-2015 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by mikey1 (Post 4696122)
i highly doubt you will break a suspension bolt given their size and strength,

in the odd chance you do i would replace with OEM, suspension bolts are very critical, you dont want a cheap bolt snapping while doing 50+ mph,

considering the amount of work you are doing, isn't an extra couple of bucks worth it for peace of mind?

I lowered my 4600 lb Volvo Wagon with Home Depot bolts and then towed a 3 to 4000 lb trailer behind it and they did not even bend or anything. I am not trying to argue here, but I think the strongest ones at HD (black oxide usually I think) are pretty good for a lot of things.

GolNat 10-28-2015 09:17 AM

Bolt strength is a concern during crashes also not just in daily use. The amount of force that is applied to a vehicle in an accident is insanely high.

My SPC camber bolts are grade 12.9.