Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Is it a suspension problem if the grating sound can be reproduce during turns / bends

Old 02-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
internalaudit is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is it a suspension problem if the grating sound can be reproduce during turns / bends

On sharp turns (>45 degrees) / curves at >60 km/h, one of my passenger noticed a grating sound coming from the rear passenger side (close to where the tire/wheel is).

Does the sound point to a suspension problem? I can't reproduce the sound when turning at slower speeds or less sharp turns.

How critical is it to get fixed if it's a suspension problem? I was told by my mechanic there is a slow leak on my 02 Civic's suspension a year or so ago but said it didn't pose any safety concerns.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Is it a suspension problem if the grating sound can be reproduce during turns / b

probably nothing to do with the suspension....

wheel bearing or C/V joint would be my guess
Old 02-26-2013
Registered!!

Re: Is it a suspension problem if the grating sound can be reproduce during turns / b

Originally Posted by mikey1
probably nothing to do with the suspension....

wheel bearing or C/V joint would be my guess
Thanks Mikey1. I'll bring this up with the mechanic when have the oil change done.

I went on reading a few websites/blogs and noted that the CV joints will be located in the front for my vehicle though.

If the sound is coming from the rear passenger wheel area, I'm hoping it's just a wheel bearing which may cost less to replace:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1213036AAdZxcd

Last edited by internalaudit; 02-26-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2013
Registered!!

fusion158 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the cv joints are at the front. I would suspect ball bearing too, however since you mention a leak it could possibly be the rear shock is failed and needs replacing. Does the sound happen only when turning left or right or does it happen for both directions. Look at see if you can see any sign of the tire rubbing against the car too.
Old 02-26-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by fusion158
Yes, the cv joints are at the front. I would suspect ball bearing too, however since you mention a leak it could possibly be the rear shock is failed and needs replacing. Does the sound happen only when turning left or right or does it happen for both directions. Look at see if you can see any sign of the tire rubbing against the car too.
Thanks for your help Fusion158. We just noticed it last night, so I'll try to confirm whether turning both left and right leads to the sound though the noise only comes from the rear passenger tire area. I don't have the car lowered but I'll check if there is rubbing against the car.