Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Alignment or not when removing cars front hub?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DH757 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Alignment or not when removing cars front hub?

I had my front hub removed today to replace 2 broken wheel studs after they got stripped. Also since an 04 Civic requires the hub to be removed they charged me $100 for labor.

Now my question is, do I need an alignment on my car after that?

I noticed after I drove out that my alignment was off and my car pulled to the right on a straight and level steering wheel.

My last alignment was 3k miles ago, since then i climbed onto a curb and hit a huge pothole!

The alignment shop also once told me that on the drivers side the caster can't be aligned because one of the components is bent. I imagine it's the lower arm? I forgot to ask them. Although when they aligned it, the car didn't pull anymore miraculously!

Should I go for an alignment?
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

amamdani15 will become famous soon enoughamamdani15 will become famous soon enough
Re: Alignment or not when removing cars front hub?

just go back to the shop and act stupid. tell them that they screwed up and now your car wont go straight. try to get them to do a free alignment for you, unless you have bought lifetime alignment or something.
Old 04-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Yes, you need an alignment done after removing the front hub, all you suspension components hinge off of it so it affects everything.
Old 04-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Fix the bent piece and THEN do your alignment. That way you won't be doing it twice.
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

Question Re: Alignment or not when removing cars front hub?

Originally Posted by tbohar
Fix the bent piece and THEN do your alignment. That way you won't be doing it twice.
I called the mechanic about the fix, since he's aligned my car before.

He says they need to replace the knuckle and lower body arm in order to align the caster properly. It's only on the drivers side, passengers side is adjustable.

He told me that it'll cost me about $500-$600 to repair.

Is that a fair price?

I'm willing to pay for the fix but I'm not sure if I'm being ripped off.
Old 04-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the control arm is easy to do yourself - look for DIY around the forum - replace it first - knuckles usually does not get damaged easily (the arm is weaker than the solid metal knuckle - Knuckle holds a lot of the key parts of suspension together, after all)

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-14-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: was confusing sentence :D
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

Anyone know if it's easier to replace it myself at home?
Old 04-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Search engine key words:
replace control arm DIY:

result (among others):
Time elapsed: 1 minute
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ntrol-arm.html
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
the control arm is easy to do yourself - look for DIY around the forum - replace it first - knuckles usually does not get damaged easily (the arm is weaker than the solid metal knuckle (it holds a lot of the key parts of suspension together, after all)
i saw a youtube video, it does look pretty easy. However, looks can be deceiving.

So do you mean that the knuckle holds most of the key parts or is it the arm? Didn't quite understand your sentence sorry.

In order to replace the knuckle I need to remove the hub again right? Although I can't do that at home.
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Search engine key words:
replace control arm DIY:

result (among others):
Time elapsed: 1 minute
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ntrol-arm.html
Nice thread, thanks for that!

I'll attempt a change by myself, and take the advice for the tools needed.
Old 04-14-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by DH757
So do you mean that the knuckle holds most of the key parts or is it the arm? Didn't quite understand your sentence sorry.
Knuckle is the one.

Big chances all you need is the arm. the only "harder" part to do is the ball joint, but the Utube one with the jack and the wrench makes easier - just stay away from anywhere the wrench could fly to, or better make sure the wrench will not go flying . No need to remove the knuckle.
Old 04-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You can use my ball joint DIY as an example too of how to get the knuckle out of the way. Just remember you don't need to actually remove the knuckle to remove the LCA.