Idle Issues If you have idle issues, post here!

Engine Races (4-5000 RPM) When First Started

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MN-02-CivicEx is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Races (4-5000 RPM) When First Started

1. Have had the 02 Civic for 3 years and never had this symptom before even at below 0 temps.
2. Has been happening for a week...immediately turn off ignition key when this happens.
3. Open hood and pull on throttle cable a few times. (1.7 L 4-Cyl 140K)
4. Try again and sometimes it still revs at too high rpm.
5. Try again and sometimes 3000 rpm, but never as low as 1500 rpm.
6. Will shift automatic into drive which helps slow down rpms so motor isn't racing so fast.
7. After driving when engine warms up the motor will then idle down to normal rpm.
8. However, when driving at higher rpms in town have to ride brake more often.
9. However, even after a couple hours parked when starting again the engine often races too fast.
10. Open the hood and repeat steps 2-6 and once engine is warmed up it will idle at normal rpm.
11. This has never happened in previous winters even when temps are below 0.
12. Throttle cable isn't sticking...have sprayed on some lubrication, but maybe not where needed.
Old 01-13-2019
Registered!!

Re: Engine Races (4-5000 RPM) When First Started

I put it into Drive ASAP and get going. Trying not to use brakes anymore than possible. After driving about 5-10 minutes (depending on how cold the weather) the engine warms up enough to return to proper rpms. Realize when driving it's not good on the tranny so get on a road ASAP where the speed limit is at least 35-45 mph. Would appreciate any suggestions on what part you think may need some TLC or replacement. Thanks
Old 01-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Hard to say, first step would be to plug in a live data capable reader and check things like throttle position, coolant temps.

Some have noted that the gas pedal return spring can start to become weak, cold weakens springs as well, have you tried “lifting up” the gas pedal when it’s high reving?
Old 01-15-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Some have noted that the gas pedal return spring can start to become weak, cold weakens springs as well, have you tried “lifting up” the gas pedal when it’s high reving?
This cold Minnesota morning instead of first pressing the gas pedal halfway (before turning ignition key) i didn't touch the gas pedal with my foot. Just turned on the ignition key and ("That's What I Like To Hear)" it worked as it should only revving to around 1500 rpms ... then idling normally when engine is warmed up.
Old 01-15-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MN-02-CivicEx
This cold Minnesota morning instead of first pressing the gas pedal halfway (before turning ignition key)
why are you doing this?
Old 01-15-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
why are you doing this?
You mean first pressing the gas pedal halfway?? ​​​​​​Perhaps, read it in my 02 KIA Rio owners instruction manual OR maybe it was my experience when i owned a '67 Pontiac Tempest Custom 2-Dr Hardtop 326 V8.

Can tell you for sure that it wasn't my wife. Will check my Honda owners manual to see if it was Honda that said to first "press gas pedal halfway and release" before turning ignition key to start. Will be right back after i retrieve my owners manual from the glove compartment and read what they have to say.
Old 01-15-2019
Registered!!

You mean first pressing the gas pedal halfway??
You are partially (actually) correct. On page 179 (02 Owners Manual) "if the engine doesn't start within 15 seconds of cranking wait at least 10 seconds and then repeat step 4 with accelerator pedal pressed half-way down". If engine still doesn't start, "press the accelerator all the way down and hold it there while starting in order to clear flooding".

As you may be aware these instruction manuals were written for the better half of us guys as we Know-It-All and don't need to read instruction manuals.
NOTE: If any Me-Too's have just read the previous sentence it's fake news
Old 01-15-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

yeah just leave the gas pedal alone unless it won't start, then you can try what it talks about in the owners manual
Old 01-16-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

You mean first pressing the gas pedal halfway?? ​​​​​​Perhaps, read it in my 02 KIA Rio owners instruction manual OR maybe it was my experience when i owned a '67 Pontiac Tempest Custom 2-Dr Hardtop 326 V8.

Can tell you for sure that it wasn't my wife. Will check my Honda owners manual to see if it was Honda that said to first "press gas pedal halfway and release" before turning ignition key to start. Will be right back after i retrieve my owners manual from the glove compartment and read what they have to say.
Back with carburetors it was necessary to press the gas pedal half way and releasing before starting to set the choke. Most of the electronic fuel injection systems I have run into say to leave the gas pedal alone.
Old 01-16-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
... have you tried “lifting up” the gas pedal when it’s high revving?
Took your advice yesterday and noticed that the floor mat had been pushed forward and was resting on TOP of gas pedal. So embarrassed with egg on my face wasn't going to post. Then thought if I can accomplish the following list of repairs over the past 3 years by myself i'm not entirely blind ... Changed the Timing Belt myself; Installed a new Upper Cam Sensor myself, Installed new Valve Cover Seal and Spark Plug Tube Grommets; Eventually (TLC) removed an original seized factory Denso Spark Plug (others with less patience would have stripped the motor head threads); and Installed a New Radiator this past fall.

At 74 years young i'm not as limber and my mind and eyes aren't as sharp as i'd like. The good news is it didn't cost anything to fix (just egg on my face).

Edit: Just remembered i had removed the floor mat a week or so ago to remove debris and then hurriedly tossed it back in driver's side.

Last edited by MN-02-CivicEx; 01-16-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2019

It's all good we've all made silly mistakes