Idle Issues If you have idle issues, post here!

prob with idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grncivic2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
prob with idle

what is the easiest way to reset ur idle i sprayed intake cleaner in the intake and my idle got all f*&Ked up and i got trouble codes that come up saying somthin about the iac and iat i dont know if i need to just reset my idle or would i need to replace my iac pleae help
Old 01-08-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Well if you have a problem with your IAC and IAT (since you have trouble codes for those) then you need to diagnosis and fix those problems before the idle will go back to normal.

But yea I would try and reset the ECU first, you may have had the check engine light come on just cause of the intake cleaner and the problem is intermitent, but reset it and see if the codes come back.
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

thats actually what i need help on whats the best way to reset the idle and clear the ecu my check engine light comes and goes and the idle is normal somtimes so what is the best way to reset the idle i got on the comp at work and it said to take a bunch of relays and fuse out then start the car then put it all back and that didnt soundright to me
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Just pull the number 6 ECU fuse in the under hood fuse box for 10 seconds, then put it back in and then start the car and drive around. this will reset the ecu and clear the codes. If they come back however, then you have a problem that you need to get fixed.

Last edited by streetglower; 01-09-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
to do it properly, you're supposed to remove the throttle body. then use a rag with cleaner sprayed on it to wipe the carbon off. you can also take off the IAC valve on the left side of the tb and spray that inside until all the carbon comes out. That should help your warmup idle. once you clean everything, reset the ecu by pulling the FI ECU fuse under the hood fusebox.
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

thanks ill give it a shot
Old 01-31-2006
Registered!!

ok i replaced the IAC. i was getting code po505. idle air controle malfunction. my cars rpms still go from 900-1500 and it just bounces around up down up down.....ect. i looked on a computer with alldata and it said somethin about idle reset. pulling the ecu fuse or whatever does not work there is a long process that has somthin to do with taking the glove box out to get to the fuses behind there. thats where the ecu is located. if anyone has any info on this please help. i dont want to be paying $213 on an iac and still have to take it to a dealer so they can fix it for $100+
Old 01-31-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
the fuse for the ecu is under the hood not in the glovebox. there are no fuses there. like i said before, its the FI ECU fuse in the box near the battery. you have to drive the car to warm it up first, then turn off, pull fuse and put it back, start car, idle for 10 mins without pressing gas or using accessories, turn off car, turn on and drive. should be fixed. this is required especially since you replaced the iac (and most likely had the throttle body off).
Old 01-31-2006
Registered!!

hey gearbox thanks for posting. umm i lost my fuse box cover. can u post a pic of the fuse u are talking about and ill give ur instructions a try and yes i took the throttle body off, cleaned it, put a spacer on and the new iac. if this does not work, what else do u think it could be. i only get a code for the iac po505 thanks for ur help
Old 01-31-2006
Premium Member

if you dont do the idle learn the idle will be messed up and rev on its own. im very sure it will fix the problem. i'll try and take a pic of the fuse box tonight and circle the one to pull.
Old 01-31-2006
Registered!!

cranny is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont know what knid of car your talkin about but it could be your high idle valve, sounds like it could be a vacuum leak.
Old 01-31-2006
Premium Member

we don't have a fast idle thermo valve.
Old 01-31-2006
Registered!!

thanks for all ur help gearbox. oh another question ummm how the hell do u take headlights out. i got my car off a guy who leased it. so the guy put the aftermarket angel eyes projection headlights in there and all that works is the headlight and the brights. blinkers dont work all that well and the side markers dont have connections. i cant figure out how to take the damn headlights out. i got the 2 bolts at the top but i cant find or see the ones on the bottom. is there a diy on this
Old 01-31-2006
Premium Member

yea there is in tech stuff diy forums. the bumper has to come off to take the remaining headlight bolts off.
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

hey gearbox going to work its like 8:00 am ill be home round 4pm and ill look for ur pic and try the idle relearn
Old 02-01-2006
Premium Member

this fuse box is near the battery under the hood. you can use the puller or some pliars to remove the ecu fuse and then just push it back in. see my previous posts about how to do the idle learn... hope it helps

Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

drove around let car get warm. then i pulled the fuse and then let it run 10 mins and shut it off. started it and then started to drive didnt work please help dont know what to do
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

alright, remove the air filter housing off the top of the throttle body and start the car and let it idle, then put your fingers on the lower port in the throttle body and tell us if the RPM's drop. if it doesnt, then you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

also did you pull the right fuse? you said you pulled the fuse and let the car run for 10 min. if you pulled the #6 fuse, your car wouldnt have started. that fuse controls the injectors, ECU, and fuel system relays. make sure you pulled the correct one. But do what I suggested first.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

i have a cai. i took it off and no the rpm does drop when i put my finger over the hole. it is a brand new iac so there is nothing wrong with the iac any more. still get a code for the iac could it be somthin else that is cause ing this code to appear. is there anything else that has anything to do with the idle besides the iac?
Old 02-02-2006
Premium Member

when you took the cai off, did you attach the ground wire back in the hole? wait did you say the rpm DOESN'T drop when you plug the hole? if so you have a faulty sensor.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

i got the new one in. same problems. put the old one back in and put a piece of duct tape over the holes on the iac. car runs perfect so i think i got a faulty iac from auto zone. im going to go back and tell them i want another one ordered, cuz i dont want to keep a piece of tape on my iac might brake somthin. but before the tape, i ran the car put my finger over the hole inside the throttle body and my car ran fine with my finger over the hole. is that a bad iac or what?
Old 02-02-2006
Premium Member

yea if you put your fingers over the hole, your idle should drop almost to the point of stalling. wait you got an iac from autozone? its a very specific part. here is what i'm talking about just in case. its the whole piece! this is what you replaced?
and what holes did you put tape over? there is only one port and its inside the throttle body. those other two holes are for the coolant to flow through. something tells me you don't exactly understand...

Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

i got the whole thing from auto zone. sensor and valve came as one piece. and i put tap over the 2 long holes not the coolant holes, just where the air goes thru. i took the iac back and got my money back. thinking about just taking it to dealer, cuz i dont want to roll around with tape on there and this way i can find out what is wrong with it for sure.
Old 02-02-2006
Premium Member

well if you really taped up the air ports, then your car should not run at allif everything was working. i think you need a new sensor piece from honda.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

thanks for all the help ill see what honda says
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

dont take it to honda, just go buy one from honda and see if that one works.