Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

The first thing that comes to mind please...TIA

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019
1st time Honda owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EX2002Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
The first thing that comes to mind please...TIA

Hello everyone and once again I hope everyone is everything and may this find y'all in the yule tide holiday spirit of cheer and sharing...your knowledge that is. Hahaha.

I rebuilt my D17a2 w/5 speed transmission and recently installed it (about 2 weeks ago). Since then I've struggled to build any pressure in the clutch line and for that reason alone have not been able to drive the car. Until today, I remembered some 10 years or so ago
Old 12-31-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: The first thing that comes to mind please...TIA

Post is cut off?
I'm going to guess that you need to bleed it properly, get a power bleeder, or a buddy and lots of patience
Old 12-31-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

First thought. Air is in the clutch line.

Old 12-31-2019
1st time Honda owner

Hello everyone and once again I hope everyone is everything and may this find y'all in the yule tide holiday spirit of cheer and sharing...your knowledge that is. Hahaha.

I rebuilt my D17a2 w/5 speed transmission and recently installed it (about 2 weeks ago). Since then I've struggled to build any pressure in the clutch line and for that reason alone have not been able to drive the car. My pedal would not come back up to fully engage. However, I tried floating the gears and was able to drive the car 5 miles when I heard a pop noise. That's when I lost all my tranny fluid and I no longer had any engagement/disengagement from the clutch.

Do I need an entire clutch kit? Is it worse? Did I do damage to the actual transmission? Where should I start troubleshooting? Could anyone give me a worse case and best case scenario?

Thanks for reading and Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2019
1st time Honda owner

Sorry about the post getting cut off. In the middle of my question my son got out of bed and sat next to me on the couch while I pondered upon the car situation. He was having trouble trying to sleep and so I introduced him to the forum and explained to him how helpful this website has been for me and the numerous times that I was able to move along when getting stuck on my own. His interest in helping me rebuild the motor has grown with every visit that I get from him. In fact he's the one who steered the civic home last night while I pulled it with a blazer. Thanks guys and again, sorry about the mid post cut off thing.
Old 12-31-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

How did you lose the trans fluid? Plug not in? Axle popped out?
​​​​​​
Old 12-31-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EX2002Civic
sorry about the mid post cut off thing.
No need to apologize. It happens. I'm with the other guys, and that you need to bleed the clutch hydraulics then see how it goes.
Old 12-31-2019
1st time Honda owner

Old 12-31-2019
1st time Honda owner

The first 3 pics are of the drivers side axle where it goes into yhe transmission.

The next 3 pictures are of the same thing but of the passenger side.

I got under the car and found the leak came from what appears it could be the seals, however I was told the cv axles may have not been properly reinserted during assembly, causing one or both to "pop" out of place; which explains the pop noise and leak.

My reluctant, stubborn, and persistent idiot of a DIY tried very hard to get it in gear and it shows the product in the last 2 pictures which is the end of the passenger axle that goes into the transmission.
Old 12-31-2019

Both of those axles don't look like they were seated correctly, are they aftermarket?
Old 01-01-2020
1st time Honda owner

Factory original. Car has 154,412 miles, no wait 154,418 after that first drive on the rebuilt motor.

I was also thinking the same thing with regards to the both of them not being properly seated. My question now pertains to preventing any further damage to the internals (referring to the transmission). What do you recommend I should do in order to ensure proper function and operation when I install the replacement cv axles. How would I also go about checking the place inside the transmission where they are to be seated as to inspect for damage I may have already caused from the grinding and spline pieces I've successfully damaged.

Damnit.

TIA
Old 01-02-2020
1st time Honda owner

Does anyone know if the axle on the left (in the picture) will fit and or work properly on my 5-speed. The one on the right came out off my car. The one on the left came out of an automatic. TIA

Old 01-02-2020

Pretty sure auto and manual axles are different, whereabouts are you located?
Old 01-03-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Also missing the wheel speed sensor tone ring for ABS. So ABS wouldn't work even if the axle fit.
Old 02-02-2020
1st time Honda owner

Originally Posted by Colin42
Pretty sure auto and manual axles are different, whereabouts are you located?
Thanks Colin. I'm located in Hell Pisshole...I mean El Paso. WBY?
Old 02-02-2020
1st time Honda owner

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Also missing the wheel speed sensor tone ring for ABS. So ABS wouldn't work even if the axle fit.
Got it, thanks brotato!
Old 02-02-2020

Originally Posted by EX2002Civic
Thanks Colin. I'm located in Hell Pisshole...I mean El Paso. WBY?
I'm north of Toronto in Canada, I have a set of manual axles you could have for the cost of shipping, but its probably cheaper to buy some much closer to home.