Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Mysterious transmission sound.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jetmistro is an unknown quantity at this point
Mysterious transmission sound.

Hi gurus! My first post here!

So I've been having a weird transmission noise. I'm driving an 05 Acura EL so consider it the same as an 05 EX. I have just had the clutch and timing belt replaced so it has a new throwout bearing in it. I only hear it if I am giving the car gas and it is in gear. If i let off the power it goes away.

What it sounds like:
Kind of like a vibration type noise, mixed with the sound of reverse gear. It is not 100% constant and can come and go a little based on the bumps in the road and whether there is power or not.

Things I've observed:
1. The noise seems to be getting a little better now that it is warmer. Sometimes I won't get it in first gear and then when I go into 2nd it will start. Sometimes it starts from first gear as soon as I lift off the clutch. Sometimes it will be quiet for most of 1st and then suddenly cut in on the upper half of the revs.
2. Going around corners seems to give it a higher chance of being louder. If I start in first and turn left straight a way I will get it.
3. The more gentle I drive the more chance I have to not hear the noise. If I aggressively accelerate I am guaranteed to get the noise.
4. It persists through all gears but is less noticeable on higher ones.
5. It doesn't seem to be getting worse/louder. I've been hearing it for a couple months now and it had pretty much stayed at the same volume.
6. If the car sits for a while the noise will stay quiet for longer. Then at a certain point it will suddenly kick in.

What I have done so far:
Changed the transmission fluid to Honda MTF as of today.

I also haven't noticed any performance changes in the way it drives.
The car has 172,000 kms

Thanks for the help! This situation is really bugging me!
Old 04-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jetmistro is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Mysterious transmission sound.

Bump
Old 04-03-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Can you try and take a video of the sound, preferrably with tach in view?
Old 04-03-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Video would be great.

Was it a OEM clutch and throwout bearing installed?
Old 04-04-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Put front end up on jackstands wheel chock rear wheels, get car in gear and making noise (cruise control to keep same speed) and then walk around it and narrow down with mechanic stethoscope.