Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

05 EX leak on top of transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FijiEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
05 EX leak on top of transmission

One or some of you here may have dealt with this once before. I have a 2005 civic EX. Car is automatic. Ive got t gis leak that's been happening somewhere under the left side of the head and the top of the transmission. I have replaced the vtec solenoid gasket, and replaced the triple o-ring on the shift sensor right at the top front of the transmission.

Added some dye to the engine oil but the leak had NO dye in it. We removed the engine oil cap and looked inside and the oil reacted with the UV light. So it tells us that the leaks has to be transmission fluid related. We replaced the o-rings on the solenoid up front and cleaned everything with brakekleen and purple power. No the leak is back and it looks exactly as it did before.

I'm at witts end trying to figure this out. Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 05 EX leak on top of transmission

Check for a leaking ATF dipstick. I know mine is loose and really should replace it but does not leak. Check out this thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...sion-pics.html
Old 12-12-2018
Registered!!

Dipstick area completely dry and it's in an area that isn't currently wet from the leak.
Old 12-12-2018
Registered!!

NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Found a Youtube vid on the subject too.

A common engine oil leak is the Camshaft End Plug right next to the EGR valve on the side of the cylinder head. But you are sure that the leak is ATF.
Old 12-12-2018
Registered!!

If ATF level is too high or overheated, there may be breather hose that could spew ATF.
Not sure if the transmission mounts are hydraulic filled or not but is that a possibility?
Old 12-12-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
If ATF level is too high or overheated, there may be breather hose that could spew ATF.
Not sure if the transmission mounts are hydraulic filled or not but is that a possibility?
Was about half quart low but it's been topped off to proper level a few weeks ago. MOUNTS are rubber as far as I know.
Old 12-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

The front passenger transmission mount has fluid in it from the factory.

I had a seized bolt and ended up tearing the mount and nasty stuff spewed all over me.
Old 12-13-2018
Registered!!

This seems to be a common issue but other threads don't seem to have a definitive or concrete solution.
Old 12-13-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,130 Likes on 944 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

could clean everything off, take it for a drive and then check to see if you can tell where it's coming from
Old 01-11-2019
Registered!!

After a recent visit to honda they said the VTEC (Spool) Solenoid is defective. While we did change the gasket with the screen there is an internal o-ring that appears to have failed. Will reply back once I change the valve out and clean up the mess.
Old 01-28-2019
Registered!!

Bad O-ring in the top portion of the VTEC solenoid caused the leak it was OLD and stiff as a board with a few cracks. Finally gave up at 280K miles.