Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

New user Civic ES8 started successfully but....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VeritasTT is an unknown quantity at this point
New user Civic ES8 started successfully but....

Im not sure if I'm posting in the correct section. So this morning I started my Civic as normal, but it refused to move after putting it in drive. I tried starting it a couple times, same result. I then tried it again for a third time and it worked as normal. What's going on? Please help me understand.
Old 12-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New user Civic ES8 started successfully but....

Automatic transmission?
Old 12-05-2018
Registered!!

NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Check for low ATF.
Old 12-05-2018
Registered!!

Automatic transmission.
Old 12-05-2018
Registered!!

Will it move in R, D3 and D2?
Old 12-05-2018
Registered!!

At the time it didn't move in any gear at all. I find it very strange that it eventually started operating as normal after a few tries. Im wondering it is in fact low transmission fluid? Hmmm
Old 12-05-2018
Registered!!

To check ATF level, bring car to operating temps (radiator fan comes on) and shut off engine. Check level within 1 to 2 minutes after engine shut off. There is a high and low level marks - needs to be within these marks. ATF should be nice pink colour and not brown.

What has been the ATF maintenance on this transmission? A drain and fill of Honda DW-1 ATF is recommended every 36K miles at least.
Old 12-05-2018
Registered!!

I bought the vehicle used from a mechanic not more than a coipco weeks ago. It should have been very recently serviced before being sold to me. On another note, I really appreciate all the replies. I love this vehicle and I'm even considering the possibility of modifying it in the not so distant future. I'm happy that this forum even exists. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-05-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by VeritasTT
It should have been very recently serviced before being sold to me.
No, it will have the bare minimum done to it for it to pass safety and then it's out the door.
Old 12-05-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
No, it will have the bare minimum done to it for it to pass safety and then it's out the door.
Ohh, thanks for the heads up. I'll have to have it professionally looked at then. Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2018
Registered!!

I'm happy that this forum even exists. Thanks everyone.
I believe this site to be the most informative and active for all things Civic. No need to go anywhere else.

Old 12-09-2018
Registered!!

Small update. I had the transmission fluid checked. Yes it was low. I had it topped up. Now the problem is still occurring but the only difference is that the vehicle doesn't take as long to move off in drive. So tell me, is the transmission going bad, is it a solenoid or is it something else? Also, I see people 'warm up' their vehicles on mornings. I live in the tropics. Is it a rule that one MUST warm up a vehicle before driving? This is a whole new world for me guys.
Old 12-09-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like something in the transmission is letting the torque converter slowly drain its fluid after the engine is shut off??
I'm used to seeing this after a car sits for extended periods, and some cars do it more than others.

Warm up is not necessary. You can drive way as soon as the car will move.
If it will move after 10 seconds of running, let it run 10 seconds before moving.
Old 12-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

I had the transmission fluid checked. Yes it was low. I had it topped up. No
So now that you know adjusting the fluid makes a difference, you definately should do a drain and refill.

For all you and us know, the previous owner might have been putting the wrong kind of fluid in it.

If after a drain and refill, you see no difference in performance then as Ezone said, learn to live with it or be prepared to spend a whole lot to replace something.

If after the drain and refill, it’s better, repeat the drain and refill at least 2 more times to statistically replace > 3/4 of the old fluid with new.
Old 12-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

I agree with ezone. It sounds like the torque converter is draining itself back into the transmission after the car sits for a while. Just a thought, but maybe try checking the trans fluid after the car sits overnight before you start it. I am thinking that if the torque converter is emptying itself back into the transmission case, the fluid level would rise. I don't know that that test would tell you much, but IMO it's worth a try.