Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Transmission will not go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phoenix LSX is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission will not go into gear

So my '05 Civic EX 5 speed was driving just fine and suddenly refused to go into any gear. I had to shift without the clutch to get it home. When I did, I could put it in gear with the clutch pedal in but it would have a weird whirring sound. Now, it will not go into the gears at all. Any ideas? I'll try to upload some vids.
Old 11-06-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,137 Likes on 951 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Transmission will not go into gear

slave or master cylinder for the clutch probably failed
Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

How can I find out? The fluid level is good and clean. When I press the clutch pedal, the slave cylinder appears to be working
Old 11-06-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,137 Likes on 951 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

You can see the slave move the clutch fork?
Maybe the clutch blew apart?
Can you roll the car with the trans in gear? (Engine off, parking brake off obviously)
Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

Yes, I can see the slave cylinder move the clutch fork. I'll try moving the car in gear when I get off work.
Old 11-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If not a hydraulic system failure, expect a mechanical failure in the clutch disc/pressure plate/TO bearing areas
Old 11-09-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

I have had this happen to me in a 91 Civic, a mustang, and a PT cruiser. I'm writing to kill time so if you prefer to skip storytime, just read the text in bold. it will sound like i'm telling you to do something stupid, so i felt like a little backstory might be useful.

In all three cases, the cause was my abuse.

THE CIVIC:
I don't remember what I did to break the Civic, but I beat it hard enough that I killed quite a few trans's, clutches, n axles. Not racing, just general abuse to amuse myself. Powershifting, offroading like a rally car, etc. Anyways...
The Civic would go into gear with the engine off and the parking brake released. At idle it would not go into any forward gear and it would grind if I tried to get it in reverse. I reeeeeallly wanted to get the car two blocks to my friends house. I got a bright idea and thought maybe I could yank it into reverse, and drive there in reverse. I pressed the clutch pedal to the floor, and quickly yanked the shifter from neutral to reverse. It went in and the car stalled. I tried it a second time, and the car stalled again. i restarted the engine and as i was playing with the shifter, for some reason it went into gear like normal. after that The clutch felt fine, it shifted fine, and after a really confused test drive, it seemed fine. The problem never came back.

THE MUSTANG
the mustang was a lightened car we street raced. It ran 12.3 na with 300hp and 10.8 with a 175 shot. countless 6000 rpm clutch dumps on slicks never broke it. It had a center force df clutch......that locked up randomly in a gravel driveway. I remembered the Civic, so I pressed the clutch, yanked it into reverse, and it was shifting like normal again. The clutch was not as grippy though and I could hear/feel a slight vibration. When I looked in the bell housing inspection cover, i could see friction material and gravel maybe i had a tiny rock in there or the friction material failed from abuse and stacked up between the pressure plate and the disc so there was no air gap. I ordered a new clutch and baby the car until it arrived. When I took it apart to install half of the organic side of the clutch disc was missing. from driving like that the vibration never went away even after installing a new clutch. me driving it like that threw the mainshaft out of round enough to damage the trans beyond cost effective repair.

THE PT
with the PT, i was getting on the highway and i went to shift quickly into 4th and i hit 2nd instead. the clutch locked up and i drove 20 miles home not able to use the clutch, luckily like you my skills allowed me to shift without it. i have a pic of the cause from that one. the "reverse yank" fixed the PT as well. so 3 for 3 on this working as a fix for me.
full PT thread if anyone is reeeealllly bored. lol
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...-i-killed.html

if your car is behaving like i described above in bold and you aren't afraid to try it, yank it into reverse at idle once or twice. it'll probably clear whatever is wedged in there. you wont harm the trans. i never did

Last edited by RobertD; 11-09-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2018
Registered!!

Interesting, because that sounds EXACTLY like what mine is doing. Think I'll go ahead and give it a try when I get home.
Old 11-10-2018
Registered!!

So I tried it... Didn't work lol. I mean it did for a split second in first but that's it.