Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Vibrations, possibly inner CV joint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,311 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Vibrations, possibly inner CV joint?

2003 LX auto transmission, around 160k miles. I feel vibrations similar to driving over a rumble strip under the three conditions below.
1. When accelerating somewhat quickly, usually starting around 30 mph or so.
2. Turning right while going 30+ mph and lightly accelerating/holding speed (completely smooth when turning left).
3. When going over hills while lightly accelerating/holding speed.

Cruising down the road at 55 mph I feel nothing. Also when turning right or going over hills while not on the throttle there is no vibration. I checked front wheel bearings as I read that could cause vibrations but both were ok. All other front suspension appears to be in working order as well. I did check the boots over all CV joints and none appear broken or leaking. After searching for the last two days I'm suspecting the inner CV joint on the passenger side axle. My thinking is when turning right and while going over hills the CV joint is more angled causing more stress. Any other thoughts?

Last edited by BrotatoChip; 10-04-2018 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 10-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Vibrations, possibly inner CV joint?

Check both CV joints. Also check for a clogged EGR valve and/or ports or a failing EGR valve.
Old 10-04-2018
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

This car does not have EGR. I'm confident in saying it is not an engine issue, engine revs smoothly and there are no faults.

I can still check outer CV joints by turning and listening for noises. Is there a way to check inner CVs? Grabbing onto the axle I don't really feel any significant movement. Also all four boots appear in good condition.
Old 10-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Might also have a failed engine mount, that when loaded moves enough to transfer vibrations.
Old 10-15-2018
Super Moderator

Had some more time this weekend to look into this issue. Out of suspicion I started removing the passenger side axle, after snapping two 1/2" drive breaker bars I finally got the darn axle nut off. With the inner CV joint angled around 15-20* and then spinning the axle I could tell it was not happy. It appeared the boot had a small rip in it at some point that was patched with some sort of glue. I replaced the axle and the vibration went away, thanks for the input.