General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

How do you tab out ball joint & CV axle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xgtcivicturbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink How do you tab out ball joint & CV axle?

I need assistance on replacing ball joint and cv axle, What kind of tools do you used in order to get the ball joint out & cv axle out in a 7th gen civic? Is there a certain way where you have to pry the cv axle in order to get it out? Needs further help and thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: How do you tab out ball joint & CV axle?

Originally Posted by xgtcivicturbo
I need assistance on replacing ball joint and cv axle, What kind of tools do you used in order to get the ball joint out & cv axle out in a 7th gen civic? Is there a certain way where you have to pry the cv axle in order to get it out? Needs further help and thanks in advance!
To remove the ball joint you use a ball joint press kit, it's basicly a big c-clamp with various dies. If you look up tbhoars ball joint DIY you'll see a complete guide on how to do it. The CV axle is pretty involved, maybe someone else here has done it..
Old 05-10-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

if u want to take off the CV axle, you will need a hub extractor.

something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7394-Unive.../dp/B0002SRH60

use it to extract the hub and you will have access to ur CV axle. then you just yank the CV axle out.

its a real pain in the ***. i suggest you get the cv axle professional done. the tool alone is the cost of labor and its not really worth ur time (although u can rent from autozone)

but again, its a real pain in the ***. i know cuz i did it. not worth my time.
Old 05-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

personally, i chickened out and changed the whole axle... cheaper and less hassle. I have 2 in the garage, with the outer joints gone but good axle - i will someday install new CV joints in them, but for now the new ones should hold longer.