Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

grinding noise from transmission...no idea what it is

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evolutionmr is an unknown quantity at this point
grinding noise from transmission...no idea what it is

I've got this grinding noise from the transmission that happens when the car is moving. I read the transmission FAQ already and couldent figure out whats going on. Ok so this is what happens...Start the car, in neutral everything is normal...press clutch down or release it makes no difference...the noise isent there.. the put the car in 1st and let the clutch go...as the rpm's climb the noise varies with it. under acceleration the noise is not there...but with the car moving in gear and foot of the gas...its really loud. If i depress the clutch when the car is moving...the noise goes away. I've read through all the threads on the topic.

So far i have replaced the clutch....then swaped the entire transmission, then did the pilot bearing...then throwout bearing. The only other thing i can think of out is the input shaft bearing. What i dont get is...why even after getting another whole new transmision the noise is still there?

any help will be welcome. thanks
Old 05-07-2009
Registered!!

Re: grinding noise from transmission...no idea what it is

any ideas?
Old 05-08-2009
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light

Thats a stumper. What kind of noise is it exactly? Is it grinding, whining, moaning.. what is it? Grinding is usually gears, maybe something in a synchro. Whining could be just normal transmission noises from the gears spinning against each other, possibly caused by an oil that is too heavy (did you use honda mtf?). A moaning or scratchy kind of sound is probably a bearing. As to why it didn't go away after a new trans I don't have a clue other than you bought a used trans with the same problem.
Old 05-11-2009
Registered!!

the noise is def a grinding noise....and at times it sounds like there is a marble loose in the transmission that is clinging around while speeding up...if i hard launch the car...with the clutch it makes a whining noise while the clutch grabs....and then starts the grinding noise again. i dont know if fluid can cause such a loud noise...its seriously loud. any other possibilites
Old 05-11-2009
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds to me like its a bearing. Sometimes the shield that holds the ***** inside the bearing at the proper spacing can fall out and cause some nasty noise.
Old 05-11-2009
Registered!!

Sounds to me like its a bearing. Sometimes the shield that holds the ***** inside the bearing at the proper spacing can fall out and cause some nasty noise.
Old 05-11-2009
Registered!!

whitealexander is an unknown quantity at this point

i got the same noise too.. any ideas?
Old 06-02-2009
Registered!!

breault5 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah my bet is on a bearing in the transmission...happened to me i had to replace my input shft bearing....i dont think this bearing is your problem though b/c the way you know if its input shaft bearing is if the grinding noise stops when the clutch is pressed in, but while the clutch is out either in neutral or 1st or 2nd gear it will make that noise...do a search on the diagnosis for one of the bearings in the transmission...

hard launching is a major factor of why these bearings break...the heat and the stress on them makes the plastic shield of the bearing ***** wear and eventually break....thats what happened to me..
Old 04-13-2010
Registered!!

stunaud is an unknown quantity at this point

my car started that noise too and the clutch was just replaced, this is my first Civic just got it couple days ago, ive gotten many different opinions and hearing these it makes much more sense to what is going on. What steps do i take to get it fixed?
Old 03-02-2019
Registered!!

gmanscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem on mine. I didn’t do anything yet tho.