Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

is my reverse gear f'd up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuzzylogic426 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy is my reverse gear f'd up?

Well, it feels like my reverse gear is f'd up. Whenever i move it from park to 'r' it makes a clunking sound and its rough, and it always takes alot longer than it used to for it to engage. btw, i always use my parking brake.

All of this started to show after i brought my car in for an oil change. The mechanic revved my car, put it into reverse and it basically "peeled out" (remember, my car is an auto). I was like and i asked "what the heck was that?!" and he said "what?" and acted all innocent and crap. I knew right then and there that there was no way in hell that they were gonna admit to anything.

So, I'm thinking that he f'd up my reverse gear, and if so, what kind of damages might there be? I know i should bring it to the dealer, but im thinking it might be too much of a hassle, since im assuming that they have to take the transmission apart? correct me if im wrong

Last edited by fuzzylogic426; 02-25-2006 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-25-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
tranny needs to be replaced. they are so fragile even normal driving will break it. mine is slipping at 45k miles already. doing stuff like revving and throwing it into gear just makes it break faster. if the oil change guy did that to my car i would throw a fit.
Old 02-25-2006
Registered!!

ya, i was thinking that i take such good care of my car and i baby it so much, but then someone else can screw it up within 15 minutes because he didn't have respect for my car.

oh btw, when i bring it in (i still have warranty), will they say that i abused my transmission and not be willing to fix it under warranty?

Last edited by fuzzylogic426; 02-25-2006 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-25-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
its very hard to show that it was abused, especially since what would normally be caused by abuse is caused by daily driving. The tranny clutch packs just fall apart over time. You should see how I drive mine. I go out of my way to drive it a certain way like try not to upshift, wait til it engages gear before going from R to D, everything really careful. I even changed the fluid every 10k and it still crapped out. Its a factory defect and if by some chance they open it up (they usually just replace the whole thing), they will find the defect.
Old 02-25-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
If you have a warranty.... Not sure I would make mention of the incident to Honda.

As far as the oil change place, they should be paying the bill.
Old 02-25-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
If you have a warranty.... Not sure I would make mention of the incident to Honda.

As far as the oil change place, they should be paying the bill.
ya, i feel that the oil change should pay the bill, but with the reaction that the dude gave me, i knew right then and there that they were gonna deny everything (even though i was there).
Old 02-25-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
its very hard to show that it was abused, especially since what would normally be caused by abuse is caused by daily driving. The tranny clutch packs just fall apart over time. You should see how I drive mine. I go out of my way to drive it a certain way like try not to upshift, wait til it engages gear before going from R to D, everything really careful. I even changed the fluid every 10k and it still crapped out. Its a factory defect and if by some chance they open it up (they usually just replace the whole thing), they will find the defect.
thats what i do too i always wait for the gears to engage when going from R to D. but at all the places i bring it to (alignment shops, oil change shops, etc) they always move from R to D before they come to a full stop. i just hate it when they do that.

j/w, what do you mean by driving a certain way so it doesnt upshift?
Old 02-25-2006
Premium Member

well like when you drop below 20mph and when you then press the gas it clunks by shifting to second. so i try to either come to a stop quickly or just ease on the gas so its not as bad. but i know when it will happen so I'm prepared. also going on the freeway i try and keep it in lower gear by letting off the gas so after i make the corner i'm still in second. it just takes learning when the car shifts otherwise after a few secs you'll be stuck in fourth already and have to press the gas just so it can downshift again. i hate auto.
Old 02-25-2006
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the crowd. It finally got you to! LOL
Old 02-26-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
how can an automatic tranny be abused? spit at their faces and reset your ecu before your take it in again.