Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Gauge, Overheating, I don't know what's happening help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny Heredia is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Gauge, Overheating, I don't know what's happening help.

Honda Civic EX 2003

I was going fast on the expressway.

I pull over to find my phone to then realize my hood is smoking (white smoke or steam)

I realize my temperature gauge is at peak red hot.

I open my hood after 5 mins and either the coolant or something around that area is still releasing smoke

I turn off the car let it sit for 15 mins.

I start up the car and the engine is making a rattling noise but that car moves.

I drive the car for a good mile or mile and a half then I checked the temperature gauge and notice its hot at the peak red line just like it was before I first pulled over so I pull over again and let it sit this time I didn’t see as much smoke as the first time.

Now this time after 15 more mins I try to start up the car and what happens is that the car engine starts then stalls so the steering wheel and the brake and everything is locked so car wont move. I turn it off and let it sit I tired every 15 mins or so and the same result kept happening so I let it sit for 45 mins and then the car finally started this time so at this point I just wanted to get home I drove at a steady pace of 30 mph and as I was getting home the temperature gauge was going up again and when it got to the peak red I stopped and pulled over. I waited about 5 mins since at this point I was walking distance from home. I start up the car its about 3/4 hot but it gave me time to go home. I got home and parked I haven’t opened the hood or anything. I want to know why my car is overheating fast and what can I do so it won’t happen again. Help.

Attached below is a video of when my car was starting and the engine won't stall. Maybe it'll help.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2424.mov (2.49 MB, 55 views)
Old 09-24-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,337 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Gauge, Overheating, I don't know what's happening help.

With the limited information you've given I'd place my bet on a bad head gasket. You'll see coolant backing up into the reservoir tank (possible spilling out the top) meanwhile the radiator will appear very low.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 09-24-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,140 Likes on 954 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Head gasket and possibly something else like a fan not working that caused the engine to overheat
Old 09-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

The why will break down into 2 diagnostic modes.

A- Does the car overheat with a full coolant system.
B- Does the coolant system lose coolant resulting in overheating.

Stuck thermostat, failed waterpump, crusted shut radiator are all items to consider for A.

Coolant leak, or displacement by failed headgasket are reasons for B

Its that simple.