Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

2004 civic is STILL overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smann2 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 civic is STILL overheating

I had a diagnostic done by pepboys, that said my radiator and my Headgasket were both bad. Had both Replaced by my mechanic, which didn’t full fix the issue of overheating. Replaced the thermostat and coolant temp sensor, still overheating. Going to be doing the water pump tomorrow.

Any idea, assuming the water pump also doesn’t fix the issue, what could be wrong? I’m out of ideas and so is my mechanic. I’m already almost 2k deep in repairs and wouldn’t be worth junking at this point as everything already been fixed.
Old 02-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2004 civic is STILL overheating

Originally Posted by smann2
I had a diagnostic done by pepboys, that said my radiator and my Headgasket were both bad.
Old 02-14-2019
Registered!!

They only charged 45$. I originally wasn’t going to fix it but stupidly got talked into it by my dad.
Old 02-14-2019
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

They only charged 45$. I originally wasn’t going to fix it but stupidly got talked into it by my dad.
yeah but how much did the repairs cost? which got you nowhere?

stop throwing parts at it, and find somebody who can tell you what the real problem is
Old 02-14-2019
Registered!!

The mechanic who I had fix it, said both the head gasket and radiator were busted, as well as the thermostat, water pump, and coolant temp sensor.
Old 02-14-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

diagnostic done by pepboys

Had both Replaced by my mechanic

I’m out of ideas and so is my mechanic

The mechanic who I had fix it,
What does pepboys want your installer to replace next?
Old 02-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Lots questions...

Would not surprise me if your mechanic didn’t use OEM head gasket and no mention about sending head to machine shop to verify it’s flat.

If pep boys / your mechanic did not tell you exactly which cyclinder was leaking then they did not correctly diagnose a failed Honda Civic headgasket.

Its been reported some aftermarket waterpumps can fail with the impeller coming off. Sure sign of that would be full coolant system, heater turned to max, engine warmed up and no heat since there is no coolant flow.

What would you like from this forum?
Old 02-15-2019
Registered!!

The mechanic who I had fix it, said both the head gasket and radiator were busted, as well as the thermostat, water pump, and coolant temp sensor.
i have a very hard time believing all of those parts failed at the same time,

also....if the coolant sensor is faulty how do you really know if its over heating? it might be giving false readings
Old 02-15-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

diagnostic done by pepboys

Had both Replaced by my mechanic

I’m out of ideas and so is my mechanic

The mechanic who I had fix it
This is not how problems are solved.
Old 02-28-2019
Registered!!

I’m a loss

i had my mechanic diagnose and replace my radiator and head gasket. After i was still overheating we replaced the water pump, thermostat, and coolant temp sensor.

Still overheating.

Before he did the radiator I was leaking coolant but when I put coolant in I wasn’t overheating. Now I am. I think it’s that the radiator was done incorrectly, he said that’s not the case, but I don’t know anything about working on cars but that seems logical to me. Any ideas?
Old 02-28-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: I’m a loss

Was a head gasket test performed? Was the system burped properly? Might still have air in the system.

If his original diagnosis didn't fix the issue then he owes you to fix it!!

If he is not capable of fixing it he owes you some sort of refund and take it to someone else.
Old 02-28-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: I’m a loss

Moved to proper section...geez, nobody can read english anymore to find the proper section?
Old 03-01-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

merged thread to original thread.
geez, really a "I will post anywhere"