Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Slow leak or blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maschaffn is an unknown quantity at this point
Slow leak or blown head gasket

I've been driving my 2003 Honda Civic for the last 5 months and it's losing coolant at a rate of about a quart every other week and the temperature gauge is popping up and heater blows cold air. Been pressure tested but three different times two different mechanics and it checks out there are no signs of carbon in the cylinders or in the coolant fluid s aren't mixing. my only option is that it is a warped block or head something of the like ..,anybody else have anything?
I've taken it to repeatable shop and they don't want to touch it because there's no signs of carbon and the pressure tests fine.Just trying to see anybody's heard of any other things besides blown head gaskets, or should I just wait it out.
Old 04-09-2018
Registered!!

mhammond1127 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Slow leak or blown head gasket

Originally Posted by maschaffn
I've been driving my 2003 Honda Civic for the last 5 months and it's losing coolant at a rate of about a quart every other week and the temperature gauge is popping up and heater blows cold air. Been pressure tested but three different times two different mechanics and it checks out there are no signs of carbon in the cylinders or in the coolant fluid s aren't mixing. my only option is that it is a warped block or head something of the like ..,anybody else have anything?
I've taken it to repeatable shop and they don't want to touch it because there's no signs of carbon and the pressure tests fine.Just trying to see anybody's heard of any other things besides blown head gaskets, or should I just wait it out.
Well at least I’m not the only one who had that issue. It could be either a stuck thermostat or your engine coolant temp sensor, but start out small check to make sure fans do run the way they should, check top and bottom seam of radiator (mine was doing that and it was a bad radiator and both fans weren’t working so that was why it fell apart like that) then check your hoses when the car is at normal op temp if one hose is cold it’s likely a bad thermostat. Do the small stuff first, cause mine did that and everybody said head gasket which it wasn't, it was a bad ECT sensor.
Old 04-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Quarts of coolant are going somewhere..

Boiling off? Leaking out? Being pushed out by leaking head gasket?

Boiling off without leaks can happen with bad seal on radiator cap to radiator connection.

Leaking out, anywhere in system in which pressure test would have likely shown.

Leaking headgasket only reliable way to rest is by pulling spark plugs off and pumping compressed air in.

Is your cooling system sucking the overfill bottle empty, or does it pretty much stay way above the HOT line?
Old 04-09-2018
Registered!!

maschaffn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mhammond1127

Well at least I’m not the only one who had that issue. It could be either a stuck thermostat or your engine coolant temp sensor, but start out small check to make sure fans do run the way they should, check top and bottom seam of radiator (mine was doing that and it was a bad radiator and both fans weren’t working so that was why it fell apart like that) then check your hoses when the car is at normal op temp if one hose is cold it’s likely a bad thermostat. Do the small stuff first, cause mine did that and everybody said head gasket which it wasn't, it was a bad ECT sensor.
thanx for reply... I'll give it a go.
Old 04-09-2018
Registered!!

mhammond1127 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maschaffn
thanx for reply... I'll give it a go.
wish you luck, it’s really not hard at all. And it’s not a majorly expensive fix either
Old 04-09-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Is your radiator low and overflow tank full?

then read this
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html

test using this method.