Electronics Post your electronic questions here!

2001 Civic LX 4D Manual cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaren000 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic LX 4D Manual cruise control not working

Lemme get straight to the point, my cruise control button light comes on when I press it, but there's no light in the dash. My cable is connected to the throttle body and the cruise control module itself, and I've check my fuses by sight before and they all seemed to be ok. Does anyone know what the issue might be?

Last edited by Jaren000; 10-23-2018 at 01:18 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-24-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2001 Civic LX 4D Manual cruise control not working

Could be the brake or clutch switch keeping it from coming on. I would ohm them out and make sure they are working properly. Not sure if the clutch has 2, one for start and one for cruise or if it’s the same switch.
Old 10-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Any little pieces of plastic on your floor mat?

Common for the switch bumper on the pedal(s) to fracture and fall off which keeps the system from engaging.
Old 10-30-2018
Registered!!

I've replaced the brake switch on my car before, as that broke shortly after I got it, so it wouldn't be that. I don't know if there are any other switches I would need to check and where they would be. I also checked all of the fuses on my car and they all seemed to be in working order, I did it with a test light this time just to be sure. The only ones I didn't test were the big 30+ ones that don't have exposed metal to be used for checking.

Last edited by Jaren000; 10-30-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 10-31-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Brake lights all operating ??
Old 10-31-2018
Registered!!

As far as I'm aware of all my brake lights work
Old 10-31-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Any little pieces of plastic on your floor mat?

Common for the switch bumper on the pedal(s) to fracture and fall off which keeps the system from engaging.
^^^^^ This person is talking about the round plastic pins, that plugs into the metal of the pedals. Known to fail with age.
Old 10-31-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
^^^^^ This person is talking about the round plastic pins, that plugs into the metal of the pedals. Known to fail with age.
If it's not the little plastic plug I replaced a few months ago that I put into my brake pedal so it can press a button, then I'm not sure what that is.
Old 11-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

You have 5 separate switches that control the ESC.

Steering wheel set
Steering wheel cancel
Main system enable (dash switch)
Brake pedal switch ( think it’s one switch with dual contacts)
Clutch pedal disengaged switch.

Everything is controlled by the MiCU (sp?) which monitors VSS and controls the throttle actuator.

Being that the clutch disengaged switch gets cycled usually a order of magnitude more than the brake switch which you have already had a failure of, I would check it’s function first. There are two switches on the clutch pedal, one is a interlock for the starter which is obviously working.
The other switch makes sure the clutch is not pressed at all else it disengages the ESC. Good news is I think the ESC switch is easier to get to than the starter interrupt.

First order is to get under there with a flashlight and observe how the pedal interacts with the switch. There should be a small rubber disc on the pedal that presses against the plunger of the switch. When those discs break apart, the switch plunger will go into the now empty hole in the pedal and not work.

If you still have the bumper, then unplug the switch and test.
95% sure you can just ground the harness pin and take it for a test drive to see if it engages.
Old 11-13-2018
Registered!!

Sorry it's been a while, school and work have me tied up.

However, I finally got aorund to checking the clutch switch and it turns out the bumper was gone, luckily I had a spare from when I bought a pair for my brake light switch so that's all fixed.

Good news is that now my cruise control light comes on in the dash.
Bad news is that it's not working even though the light comes on, so probably something with the motor? I remember fiddling with the motor for a bit before i finally posted here and some sort of spring came out of somewhere, so it possible that maybe I put it back wrong. Does anyone have any sort of assembly instructions for that I might be able to utilize? Although I'm like 90% certain I put the spring and everything back correctly