Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Limp mode? Bypass? [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2023
You gonna eat that?

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
MuddFlapps is an unknown quantity at this point
Limp mode? Bypass? [solved]

After replacing the ECU on my '02 EX, I'm starting to wonder if I did in fact kick my car into limp mode by trying to remove the EEPROM chip.

I'm throwing the p1607 code for ECM internal blah blah blah. If I did cause it to go into limp mode by doing so, wouldn't there in THEORY be a way to prevent the ECM from detecting it as a "problem" and therefore bypassing it?

I can start the car, clear the DTCs with an Innova 3100e scanner, and the car seems to run alright after I do it. The problem is, it comes back every time I restart the car. Does anyone else have any input here?
Old 09-09-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
re: Limp mode? Bypass? [solved]

Get an non butchered ecu
Old 09-11-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
re: Limp mode? Bypass? [solved]

There is troubleshooting in the service manual but you won't like what it says.
-Clear the code
-Turn ignition on
-Wait 40 seconds
-If the code comes back, replace the ECM/PCM.

You probably could trick it into not throwing the code, but you'd have to know what exactly it's looking for and not seeing.
Old 10-06-2023
You gonna eat that?

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
MuddFlapps is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Limp mode? Bypass?

Originally Posted by Colin42
Get an non butchered ecu
Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
There is troubleshooting in the service manual but you won't like what it says.
-Clear the code
-Turn ignition on
-Wait 40 seconds
-If the code comes back, replace the ECM/PCM.

You probably could trick it into not throwing the code, but you'd have to know what exactly it's looking for and not seeing.

Okay, so here's an update.

I decided to stop screwing around and just bit the bullet. I went to ebay to see what I could find.

Lo and behold, I found an ECM, Key, and ignition guts........FOR $62 SHIPPED. Most other sellers are asking $200+

I installed everything......worked like a champ! The reason I am coming back to post here is that I wanted to make a note for anyone else who might read this and decide to replace their ECM.

1. A PLM-L56 ECM ***WILL*** WORK IN PLACE OF A PLR-L55 ECM.

2. A NEWER STYLE HONDA TRANSPONDER KEY (e.x. HO03)***CAN*** HAVE THE TRANSPONDER CHIP RETROFITTED INTO AN OLDER STYLE HD106PT KEY BLADE (2002 AND EARLIER). THIS MEANS YOU CAN USE YOUR OLDER LOCK CYLINDER AND KEY

Last edited by MuddFlapps; 10-06-2023 at 10:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (10-06-2023)