Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

04 Civic LX Won't start after getting warm/only one chance to start at times.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2023
Royce R.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roywow123 is an unknown quantity at this point
04 Civic LX Won't start after getting warm/only one chance to start at times.

Hey new to the forum, I just bought a used 04 civic LX with the 1.7l engine and from time to time after it gets up to temp and gets turned off it will not start, or if it doesn't start the first try it won't start after a period of hours, I'm currently working on replacing the fuel system relay as soon as the part comes in, but was wondering if anyone else has any ideas to what it could be also. Heard from reading online it could also be a crankshaft speed sensor? Figured this was probably one of the better places to go to get the right advice so anything is welcomed and will answer questions as I check in on this post.
other info.
Was hit by a deer before I got it needs new fender, bumper and headlight mostly not too serious tho but enough to affect the looks mostly. Top end rebuild/timing chain and head gasket replacement at 178k miles, currently at 217k miles. Only other issue I've noticed with motor or anything related is after it gets up to temp and is in park or neutral the rpms are high or go to about 2k slowly then drop and repeat, thinking that's an idle control sensor more than likely but not sure if could be related to the other issue as well so figured I should mention that also.
Old 08-16-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 04 Civic LX Won't start after getting warm/only one chance to start at times.

No check engine light?
Old 08-19-2023
Royce R.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roywow123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 04 Civic LX Won't start after getting warm/only one chance to start at times.

Originally Posted by Colin42
No check engine light?
Yes but no way to check. Alot of what I read from others said the engine light didn't even show up when they had similar issues. Main issue is I have no way to get it to a place and scan it. Also its only not started on me one time and that was after it didn't start the first time then it would just crank but not fire at all but has been starting for me after it's been running no issue and haven't let it not start on me since that first time, but have come close to it not starting or almost dying after it fires if I don't feather the throttle.
is there any way to jump the obd harness to get engine light to flash codes like on gm vehicles from the 80s-90s?
Also have replaced the fuel relay. Just rather not have the no start issue happen again even though it just happened once but previous owner said it would do that plus not start after it's warmed up but has for me every time so far. As soon as I can check the code I will I'm just hesitant to turn it off at a parts shop when I live 50 miles from closest one and don't want to get stuck out of town where I live.
​​​​​​.
Old 08-19-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

A Bluetooth scanner is like $20 on amazon