Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car Wont start After Running

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2ski4life7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car Wont start After Running

Hello, while have searched most of the forum for this problem I didn't really find any conclusion info most recommendation and wondering if one can really pinpoint what is wrong with my car so I don't have to spend as much money.

The car is a 2000 Honda Civic LX 4dr 5spd sedan. 250k miles previously owned by a honda master mechanic from day one. He replaced most parts and is in great running condition.

As the weather has heated up my car will start fine and with no problems, but driving it for 30 miles or so and letting it sit for more than 5 min it will not start, cranks, I seem to smell fuel just wont start. I'll sit there for about 10 mins or so and bam it starts like nothing ever happened.

I've read some of the possible causes just hopping one can really pin point what it is. Also there is no CEL light on.

1. Air temperature sensor(if so can someone provide a part number?)
2. Starter solenoid
3. Ignition coil?
4. Main relay(although this seems not the case if I can smell fuel)

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by 2ski4life7; 03-30-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Wont start After Running

driving it for 30 miles or so and letting it sit for more than 5 min it will not start, cranks, I seem to smell fuel just wont start. I'll sit there for about 10 mins or so and bam it starts like nothing ever happened
Next time it won't start, mash the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there while cranking it and see if that gets it to sputter to life. (let go of the pedal once it starts running)

Want a wildass guess? ECT sensor. (the two-wire sensor for the computer, not the single-wire for the gauge)

Want to diagnose it correctly? Might need a scanner and tools.
Old 03-30-2017
Registered!!

Yeah I just ordered the two wire temp sensor, 50 bucks so hopefully that makes it works. Seemed to be the culprit, pcm thinking the engine was cold so it would flood the engine.

I did mash the pedal to try to start it once and it almost did but sputtered. Let it sit a little more and it worked.

Ill post back if my problem goes away once I get the sensor.
Old 03-31-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 2ski4life7
Yeah I just ordered the two wire temp sensor, 50 bucks so hopefully that makes it works.
I prefer the five finger (free) temp sensor from a junkyard...lol
Old 04-20-2017
Registered!!

Ended up being the temp sensor. Easy fix. Starts right up now.