Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

D17a2 vtec

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chadbrailer is an unknown quantity at this point
D17a2 vtec

Ok so im new to this honda stuff lol i work for ford . so. I have a civic ex that blew the engine. That engine is a vtec. I bought a junk yard d17a2 assume its a non vtec. But i put my vtec solinoid on the engine an old wiring harness everything starts runs but i have low low low bottom end power like a clogged cat. Well there is no exhause period. There are no o2 sensors period at this time. Yes yes i understand no o2 tell the pcm the correct air fuel mixture but. My real question is there something internally different from a d17a2 vtec to a d17a2 non vtec??? Because if YES. An thats the case im not switching engines in this 19yo car iv just found my 14yo a starter dirt 4cyl then
Old 07-14-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D17a2 vtec

if it's a D17A2, it'll be a VTEC engine. The D17A1 is the 7thgen non-VTEC engine

people have done head swaps (D17A1 block with D17A2 head) and ran it successfully. Mostly to take advantage of the lower compression ratio in the -A1 variant and maintain the aftermarket support (that was available in the mid-late 2000s) for the -A2 head (e.g. cams, cam gears, etc.) to make for a better boost build without having to buy the more expensive wiseco pistons

Install your O2 sensors and try again.
The following users liked this post:
Chadbrailer (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021
Registered!!

So can i just leave it an unhook the vtec an run my vtec pcm just no vtec? Sure ill have codes an light will be on its mainly a work car instead of my 5.7l 11 miles a gal lol...im going to double check tomorrow an make sure it was infact a A2. Not a A1. Ill post pics tomorrow. I feel stupid at this ask some ford lincoln questions i can help lol
Old 07-14-2021
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If you unhook the VTEC solenoid with a VTEC ECU, it'll throw a P1259 code (VTEC System Malfunction), toss you into limp mode, and limit your RPMs to 4000. If you have a manual tranny, it'll still be capable of 80mph, just saying.

Don't worry about potentially stupid questions. It's not your area of expertise, we get it. That's what we're here for

just went over your first post again.. You said there's no exhaust? Like... nothing downstream of the exhaust manifold is connected?
Old 07-14-2021
Registered!!

You are correct. An you stand correct i did notice the 4k rpms only.. An yes i have no o2s installed due to i was going to get a new exhaust an muffler. So as i see of what i have looked up the head has 3 ports on the back for. Vtec i do not remember seeing them ports when i bolted the solinoid on. Ill take the altel an look for the code you explained. 🤦‍♂️. If this is infact a A1 engine anyway to get it out of limp mode ? Can i get a A1 pcm an if so does it require key programming or does hondas. BCM or some other modules save the key information. If worse scenario here ill take the head off the old block an see if its useable an try an put it on this IF to be A1 block. I appreciate your help man..
Old 07-15-2021
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

The engine code is at the front of the block (assuming no head swap has been performed)
Chadbrailer (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021
Registered!!

Last number is a 3. This is def. A. A1 out of a 05 4 door...
Old 07-15-2021
Registered!!

Anyway to bypass vtec to take it out of limp mode? Oh well thats what i get for not taking the time to look at the head for vtec ports 🤦‍♂️ if i cant bypass. Im taking the head off the old engine to see if its usable. It ran but had rod knock so hope no metal is in the top half.
Old 07-15-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

that picture is the vin number, not the engine code...
you cannot bypass vtec, you need a VTEC ECU.
I am starting to think you are not exactly sure about what the VTEC solenoid is. Can you post a pic of what you think is the solenoid? The ECU will need the solenoid activated or not activated, you would need both signals and the activation is not set in a RPM range, depends on a variety of factors to turn in or not. You would need to program all of them to "bypass" it and fool the ECU so that it would not go into limp mode.
Are you a carb era guy like me? That does not work on electronics heavy cars.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ation-d17.html
Chadbrailer (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

samples:
Name:  XbaFK4c.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  16.6 KB
Name:  p7S53Pi.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  24.4 KB
Old 07-15-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chadbrailer
Im taking the head off the old engine to see if its usable. It ran but had rod knock so hope no metal is in the top half.
If it had a rod knock, there's metal in the top. You can have a machine shop clean it then slap it on the a1 block and basically have an a2. Compression ratios are close enough to not make a meaningful difference.
Old 07-15-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
that picture is the vin number, not the engine code...
you cannot bypass vtec, you need a VTEC ECU.
I am starting to think you are not exactly sure about what the VTEC solenoid is. Can you post a pic of what you think is the solenoid? The ECU will need the solenoid activated or not activated, you would need both signals and the activation is not set in a RPM range, depends on a variety of factors to turn in or not. You would need to program all of them to "bypass" it and fool the ECU so that it would not go into limp mode.
Are you a carb era guy like me? That does not work on electronics heavy cars.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ation-d17.html

I looked the vin up on prodemand since its not stamped. On the block
Old 07-15-2021
Registered!!

I looked the vin up on prodemand since its not stamped. On the block
in one of my questions above.. This is a vtec car.. I dont know honda stuff. Smart enough to get the WRONG engine apparently lol. Does honda hold the key information in the PCM/ECU. Or can i go to the junk yard get a non vtec pcm an run this engine... Again i can help you with ford related issues lol. Says this picture blah. Junk 3.5l timing chains

Old 07-15-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

?!?
your engine have the code scraped out?!? Weird.

do you have the VTEC solenoid in the head? Can you post a picture of it? if someone put a VTEC head in the engine anyway, all is out of the window
Old 07-15-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
?!?
your engine have the code scraped out?!? Weird.

do you have the VTEC solenoid in the head? Can you post a picture of it? if someone put a VTEC head in the engine anyway, all is out of the window
thats where its my fault..... I dident look at the heads. I took the solinoid off an just mounted it on the A1 engine.. Paid 0 attention. If the 3 knowen now.. Holes was on the A1 head.. Nope lol my fault my bad. 🤦‍♂️. So now we know i screwed up. My A2 head is useable no metal on the top end. So my next question... ANY DIFFERENCE between a A1 block. And. A2 block by switching. My heads out? Idc about higher compression idc about that stuff.
Old 07-15-2021
Registered!!

I thought the same thing man. I used a wire brush to see the d17. An its not there. So i ran the vin on prodemand an. Thats where it shows its a A1. But switching these heads out. Will there be any problems or changes i have to make? Or just go get a. Head gasket belt an prolly a new water pump an run with it??.. Thanks for yalls help..
Old 07-15-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

A1 engine head does not have oil passages to activate the VTEC. My old LX car with A1 engine is long gone (2005) so only have internet pics to tell if you can even hook the solenoid into the A1 engine (?!?)
A2 engine block have higher compression.
your car already have wiring and ECU for VTEC, just have head checked and drop it in. (Camshaft, valve rocker arms are different)

looks like you can mount it, but no oil passages
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...int-heart.html
Old 07-15-2021
Registered!!

Correct thats where i screwed up lol. A1 no oil ports for the vtec 🤦‍♂️. So just by me switching the heads out ill be safe with using my A2 head on the A1 block if im reading this correct. The. A2 had rod knock thats why i changed the engine. So if. This A1 block wont work with my A2 head im really screwed lol.
Old 07-15-2021
Administrator
Administrator

So you can head swap that A2 head onto the A1 block just fine. Major differences: steel oil pan (ve a2's aluminum) and lower compression ratio (9.5:! vs A2's 9.9:1). Otherwise it'll be the same

So, you have no exhaust. That's gonna be a big contributor to why you have almost zero low end torque. I remember one day I installed a header on my 02 and unknowingly misaligned the downpipe by a half inch. Don't ask. Nevertheless, sounded like a Harley and couldn't get it up my driveway without revving to like 5000
Old 07-15-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
So you can head swap that A2 head onto the A1 block just fine. Major differences: steel oil pan (ve a2's aluminum) and lower compression ratio (9.5:! vs A2's 9.9:1). Otherwise it'll be the same

So, you have no exhaust. That's gonna be a big contributor to why you have almost zero low end torque. I remember one day I installed a header on my 02 and unknowingly misaligned the downpipe by a half inch. Don't ask. Nevertheless, sounded like a Harley and couldn't get it up my driveway without revving to like 5000
i thank you guys for explaining all this. I see why everyone messes with these cars easy to work on... I just dident know squat about them. To what you can change or the vtec questions.. I got it now... Im switching the. Old A2 head to the A1 block i just put in the car... Idc about tue compression. Its a work car an a kids first car if it last another year.. Thanks guys
Old 07-15-2021
Administrator
Administrator

I see why everyone messes with these cars easy to work on... I just dident know squat about them.
That's exactly it. lol. They're easy to work on, but you gotta learn the little nuances. Lots of information on this forum. If you can't find an answer, post up and we can help you find it
Old 07-15-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

yep, swap the A2 head (have it checked by a shop before dropping it in)
with the A2 engine head, it should work with current ECU
Old 07-16-2021
Registered!!

Ok yall dumb question lol. What if i took rearend backlash paint an put it on the vtec solinoid to get the spots of the holes. An drilled these 3 holes out lol. Just a idea. It works it works if not oh well the A1 head is pointless to me. But what if them journals are there but just filled in.. Just thinking is all.
Old 07-16-2021
Registered!!

I mean the bolt holes are there. For the solinoid. . 🤦‍♂️might be a stupid idea but im trying it loo
Old 07-16-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,138 Likes on 952 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Not going to work, completely different cam and rocker set-up
Chadbrailer (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021
Registered!!

Got ya.. Welp head swap it is.... Next question.. Since im a little famailure with this engine.. Anyway to engage vtec full time? Such as running exhaust rockers in reverse or however the k series was doing this.. Yall got me interested now lol
Old 07-16-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

7th gen D-series uses the VTEC-E, different VTEC systems. It basically changes from 3 valve operation in lower load/RPM to 4 valve operation in higher load/RPM. E stands for economy. No separate lobes with different profiles
Chadbrailer (07-16-2021)