Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Valve cover thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tracecross30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Valve cover thread

So i was reinstalling my valve cover on my 02 civic and i realized that one of the long bolt at the back,the thread on the head where it bolt into messed up. i didn't draw on it tight but when i look at the thread on the bolt, it has a bad spat on 2 parts of the thread so thats what damaged the thread on the head..and solutions to fix so i can tighten that bolt?
Old 02-01-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Valve cover thread

Chase the threads with a tap (on the bearing cap) and die (for the bolt). If the bearing cap is messed up too much, helicoil should do the trick
Old 02-01-2020
Registered!!

Ok,if its the thin piece of flat metal above the thread on the bolt you referring to as bearing cap,its fine.its just the thread on the head itself that got damage. So what size tap would that be.? The same as 10mm just just the bold size
Old 02-01-2020
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Hol up. Sorry, it's been a minute since I looked inside of a D17. Can you take a pic of where the messed up threads are?

edit: IIRC, attached to the head are the cam shaft bearing caps, and that's what the VC bolts thread onto
Old 02-01-2020
Registered!!

Not tonight i will try tomorrow.its one of the 2 long 10mm bolts that bolt on the valve cover, the part that got messed up is where the bolt tightened on to the head..

ok,here's a screenshot of the back of the head .look beside the dipstick hole ,thes a small hole,the thread for one the long valve cover bolt.

Last edited by Tracecross30; 02-01-2020 at 11:57 PM. Reason: More information
Old 02-01-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Had that happen to mine a long time ago. I just ignored mine but you will have to use a helicoil as Riceboy said.
Old 02-02-2020
Administrator
Administrator

erm. I don't see a pic. lol
Old 02-02-2020
Administrator
Administrator

these bearing caps and some places on the top of the head is where the shorter valve cover bolts screw into. The longer 2 in the rear bolt onto the back side of the top of the cylinder head, IIRC. I remember stripping one or two of them out and I chased it with a tap and it seemed to hold fine, as long as I just snugged them down, approaching the feeling of stripping them out again. Helicoil would definitely give you more positive engagement of the threads
Old 04-06-2020
Registered!!

Hey bro. Back to the thread that stripped for my valve cover bolt,I'm looking at some sets of helicoils on ebay for various prices ranging from $15-40 bugs and sizes are 5m up to 8m .what size you think will work with mine.?