Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Code P0341 on 2003 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NeopolitanDream is an unknown quantity at this point
Code P0341 on 2003 Civic EX

As the title suggests, I've got an '03 civic ex that has the code "P0341" for a bit over a year now.

When the Check Engine Light originally came on and the code appeared, the lack of power and low idle was immediately noticeable. Due to me being a careless idiot, I continued driving it like this for a while.

Soon after it would stutter frequently during my long commute home. Not too long after that it would die, randomly. Sometimes it would start fine, others times, not a chance.

I did a little research and not being very much car-savvy, I found it difficult to be able to diagnose the apparently many, different things that could be causing my issue.

I ended replacing the spark plugs and the camshaft position sensor. Cleared the code and drove for a few weeks with seemingly no issue, until one day while out running errands. The CEL came back up right before I parked at a store I had to stop at and trying to make it home, the car once again started sputtering and then promptly died, luckily only a block from my place. Same code came up.

Unfortunately shortly after this began to happen again, a lot of personal issues arose and I was unable to continue to trying to diagnose the issue. It's been sitting at my parent's place while I have been unemployed, dealing with some things.

Luckily though I will be picking up a bit extra cash and figured I should finally do something with it.

The last time I checked up on the car, the battery had completely died so I wasn't able to really do much in the way of diagnosing.

I've dug around these forums a bit and saw a couple of other posts with the same general issue but a lot of it just goes right over my head since I have zero car sense. Would any of the possible home-fixes be reasonable for an average joe like me? And assuming the absolute worst-case scenario for this problem, would anyone here happen to know how much a mechanic might charge for fixing this - like the absolute most this would run me? Also... a family friend (an actual mechanic) I talked to a while back said that it could be a timing belt issue, though while doing my "research" I don't think I saw this as a possiblily, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks so much to anyone who provides information.

LAST SECOND ADDITION:
I forgot to mention, that before any of these issues cropped up, the car previously had been wrecked due to incredibly bone-headed lapse of critical thinking from me. The damage done can be seen here: https://imgur.com/a/l50igwQ

I was financially challenged at the time this happened so it ended up being "fixed" by a local "fixer-upper". When I received the car back after multiple weeks of long delays, it had so many other issues. Luckily many were only cosmetic - oddly fitting hood, steering wheel misaligned.. I only bring this up as I want to be sure any and all possibly pertinent info is out there.

(ps I'm new so pls dont blast me too hard if i forget something D
Old 09-26-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,352 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Code P0341 on 2003 Civic EX

When you replaced the camshaft position sensor did you use a Honda genuine sensor or one from an auto parts store?
Old 09-26-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NeopolitanDream is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
When you replaced the camshaft position sensor did you use a Honda genuine sensor or one from an auto parts store?
I hate to say it, but as I thought it'd be a quick and easy, cheap(ish) fix, I just went and grabbed one from the local auto parts place.

In hindsight, I see how a random third-party part might be less than optimal but since it wasn't exactly cheap, I figured it would be decent.

Would you happen to know a good place to buy OEM parts?
Old 09-27-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,352 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

We see lots of other folks have issues with non-OEM sensors, we can't say for sure if the sensor is bad though. Other things to check:
-Disconnect sensor and clean both ends using electrical contact cleaner.
-Check the pins on the sensor (none are bent), do a terminal drag test on the connector on the harness (Google this).
-Clean the engine grounds (battery to engine and radiator support to engine). Use something like a wire brush to clean the contact points until they're shiny metal to ensure good connection.

If you're still getting the fault after that it may be time for a new sensor. One option is to get one online (part number 37840-RJH-006). I just found it on Amazon for $79 with free shipping. Another online option is from a Honda parts store, I've used HondaPartsNow in the past without issue (current list price is $77 plus shipping). You could also go to a local junkyard and pickup a few hopefully OEM used sensors, my local yard would give them to me for about $9 each.