Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Headgasket

Old 06-28-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L.red1993civicx is an unknown quantity at this point
Headgasket

So I’ve got a 93 eg d15b, coolant overflows to res but doesn’t return when cold, I’ve also never heard the fans turn on and I know they work because I’ve jumped them from the coolant switch, I have also bought a new coolant switch and coolant temp sensor. Would the headgasket cause the coolant to overflow and not return and the fans not to turn in any help is appreciated
Old 06-28-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Headgasket

The fans aren't related to the head gasket, directly. Those should turn on when the vehicle reaches the right temperature.

But the fans not turning on could have caused the head to overheat, warp, and unseal the head gasket.

When the head gasket leaks, exhaust gas displaces the coolant in he cooling system and it overflows into the res.

If while the engine is cold and you open the radiator cap and hear/see bubbles, the head gasket is definitely leaking.
Old 06-28-2019
Registered!!

Would that be the reason the fan would not turn on tho? The circuit seems to be fine according to my testing, unless I’ve just so happened to have gotten a bad coolant fan switch from auto zone. I don’t want to replace the headgasket and the fan still not turn on and ruin it again.
Old 06-29-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Try an OEM switch
Old 06-29-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Would the headgasket cause the coolant to overflow and not return and the fans not to turn in any help is appreciated
It can and will if circumstances are right for it, but there may be other possible causes as well.

Radiator fan does not run until its thermoswitch is hot enough to close its contacts, and the temperature of the liquid at that switch is not necessarily going to be the same as engine temperature shown on the gauge in the dash.

If you suspect the head gasket is blown, do tests that would prove or disprove such.
Old 06-29-2019
Registered!!

Let car idle for like 30 minutes filling with coolant and reviving. Bubbles started coming out whenever the car was at operating temp and when I held The throttle. Was I seen it the first time it started bubbling every like 10 seconds. So I guess no doubt the headgasket is blown right? Last question would be would the headgasket cause the fan not to turn on
Old 06-29-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L.red1993civicx
Let car idle for like 30 minutes
Didn't the fan ever run during this time?

So I guess no doubt the headgasket is blown right?
Not necessarily. Like I said, if you believe it's blown then do tests that would prove or disprove such.

If the fan never turned on and the radiator cap was not installed, the liquid in the engine could have simply been boiling.
Or maybe it was expelling trapped air pockets.

An engine can run hot and/or overheat with less than a quart of liquid missing from the radiator.
Any loss of liquid can compromise cooling system efficiency.
There is very little reserve capacity in those small systems.

Last question would be would the headgasket cause the fan not to turn on
In and of itself, no. But if the fluid level inside the engine has dropped, then yes.
When a cooling system is low.......the engine itself could become hot enough to suffer damage, yet the fan thermoswitch might never get hot enough to turn on the radiator fan. This DOES happen.

Old 06-29-2019
Registered!!

Theoretically if I changed the headgasket do you think that would solve the fan problem?
Old 06-29-2019

Originally Posted by L.red1993civicx
Theoretically if I changed the headgasket do you think that would solve the fan problem?
If head gasket is not causing the problem, then why would replacing it fix the problem?

Test, don't guess.
Old 06-30-2019
Registered!!

Btw no fan did not turn on during that time