Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2005 Honda Civic overheating

Old 06-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
melody2244 is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Honda Civic overheating

I have a 2005 Honda Civic ex with 65,000 miles. I have replaced the radiator, the thermostat, the water pump, the timing belts and the fan switch and the car still overheats. The last repair was the fan switch, they tested it for a week and it didn't overheat. I drove it for about an hour on the highway and it started to overheat as soon as I got off the highway and stopped at a light. Compression tests don't show anything but the shop still thinks it could be the head gasket and they want to replace it. There is no sign of coolant mixing with the oil and there is nothing strange coming out of the tailpipe. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be anything else besides the head gasket?
Old 06-04-2012
ES1 parts you don't need? I will buy them for free!!

H82001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2005 Honda Civic overheating

If your compression is good and there is nothing in the oil and you are not losing coolant then it is not a head gasket. That is stupid that they would even suggest that. To me that makes it look like they are retards and are just throwing parts at your car so that you keep paying them for labor.

If you ARE LOSING COOLANT!!!!!!!! it is a head gasket.

Last edited by H82001; 06-04-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

It's common for these cars not to show the common blown HG symptoms (oil/coolant mixing, white smoke, lack of compression).

Are you going through any coolant? Check the radiator, not the overflow. It may not be going through much but these cars only hold about a gallon of coolant and don't have much reserve capacity.

Driving on the highway increases the pressure in the cooling system (due to high rpm) and will accelerate the leak.

Blown HG's are common in 7th gen Civic's, usually the only signs are overheating and going through small amounts of coolant.
Old 06-04-2012

Originally Posted by H82001
If your compression is good and there is nothing in the oil and you are not losing coolant
I said IF^
Old 06-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melody2244
Could it be anything else besides the head gasket?
Yeah, but it will be a head gasket.
Old 06-04-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

If your compression is good and there is nothing in the oil and you are not losing coolant then it is not a head gasket. That is stupid that they would even suggest that. To me that makes it look like they are retards and are just throwing parts at your car so that you keep paying them for labor.

sorry, D17 acts differently.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 06-04-2012

if you are NOT LOSING COOLANT AT ALLLLLLLLLLL, how on earth can you have a head gasket leak that is causing ANY motor to overheat? If you put a gallon of coolant in a 1gal system and still have 1 gal of coolant is said system after running it up to the point of overheating, how does that indicate that you have a leak between 2 points that would 100% of the time cause you to lose coolant?
Old 06-04-2012

That reference says nothing other than what i said already. I never said losing coolant into the oil. If you have a blown head gasket, you WILL lose coolant. Not always into the oil though.
Old 06-04-2012
Registered!!

The OP never said if he/she was losing coolant or not.
Old 06-04-2012

Originally Posted by anibis
The OP never said if he/she was losing coolant or not.
THANK YOU! i wasn't going to say it. People tryina put words in my virtual mouth n junk. Sheesh
Old 06-04-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

THANK YOU! i wasn't going to say it. People tryina put words in my virtual mouth n junk. Sheesh
beg your pardon?!? YOU put words in the OP's mouth by saying that she is NOT loosing coolant... sheeesh.
Old 06-04-2012

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
^ sorry, YOU put words in the OP's mouth by saying that she is NOT loosing coolant...
I'm not getting into a pissing match over this. I never said that. Post#2 is full of IF's that the OP never answered n ppl just started picking apart what i said instead. Sorry i tried to help. I'll edit it now.
Old 06-04-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

sorry, she still needs it as reference to understand why things came to this...
it won't help her if you edit your post...

and they already did throw most parts that are related to her car... except that they should have done gasket when they did WP/TB...

If you ARE LOSING COOLANT!!!!!!!! it is a head gasket.
Old 06-04-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.....

Old 06-04-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

^ lolza!!!!
Old 06-04-2012

Haha yeah that is my opinion as well. They should've just read your overheating reference and skipped all the other crap they made him/her buy.
Old 06-04-2012
Registered!!

It seems the throwing parts at it method is common with mechanics these days.....
Old 06-04-2012

Originally Posted by anibis
It seems the throwing parts at it method is common with mechanics these days.....

Management thinking:

All cars have 4 wheels, therefore they are all exactly the same.

Anyone with a shoebox full of tools has the exact same abilities, experience and talents as the next person.

This industry is FULL of people that work on cars.
Far fewer can actually solve problems and fix them.
Old 06-04-2012

Originally Posted by ezone
Management thinking:

All cars have 4 wheels, therefore they are all exactly the same.

Anyone with a shoebox full of tools has the exact same abilities, experience and talents as the next person.

This industry is FULL of people that work on cars.
Far fewer can actually solve problems and fix them.
oh now come on. You're speakin all logical an stuff.
Old 06-04-2012

It is easy for management to fix a car. All they have to do is yell at the employees and the car gets fixed. Simple.

All jobs only take 15 minutes.

If management yells at you in front of other employees, you will do much better, and the other employees will too.

All problems can be solved by firing an employee.

Solving a Rubiks' Cube is easy when you are color blind.
Old 06-04-2012

^^^New tagline.
Old 06-04-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

^^^New tagline.
Awww, I'm gonna miss plastic jesus.
Old 06-26-2012
Registered!!

cjg2283 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having the same issue with my 2005 Civic EX with 91k miles. I have changed the Temp switch in the thermostat housing and thermostat. I also replaced the other coolant switch above the thermostat housing. I read over the page that was recommended. I am NOT losing any coolant. Which has me very confused I haven't replaced my cap yet. I so don't want it to be the head gasket. Can the recommended combustion leak be purchased at a local parts place?
Both fans turn on with the AC but the single fan doesn't seem to want to turn on. Would the Relay be bad possibly or since they both turn on with the AC does that rule that out?

The guys at the parts store said it could be a clogged system. The radiator was replaced approx 2 yrs ago due to impact from somebody dropping wood in the road and it busted the radiator.

It started to overheat literally the day I was going to trade it in on a new Civic....

I'm sorry if these questions were covered in the page recommended. I've been reading over pages and pages until my eyes are crossed.

Thanks for any info. . .