Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Head is off, Where is the failure? PICS

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosco19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Head is off, Where is the failure? PICS

Hi folks,

I think I see the failure but you all have seen tons more of these than I have. It seems like a much cleaner area on #1 exhaust side with a matching cleaner spot on the head. Engine failed pressure test on #1 pushing the radiator level up when pressure was applied at TDC.

Old 05-02-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Head is off, Where is the failure? PICS

You probably already know but check to make sure both the block and head are level. Usually a warped head causes the failure/results from failure.

New head gasket wont do sh$$ if the head is not true.
Old 05-04-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

You can clearly see the baked on head gasket coating extending from combustion area towards the water jacket holes on #1.

in your case I suspect the leak was happening inbetween the layers of the head gasket.

Afer getting that much antifreeze everywhere, take great care to clean all electrical plug with contact cleaner.
Old 05-04-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
You can clearly see the baked on head gasket coating extending from combustion area towards the water jacket holes on #1.

in your case I suspect the leak was happening inbetween the layers of the head gasket.

Afer getting that much antifreeze everywhere, take great care to clean all electrical plug with contact cleaner.
Yup. After cleaning up the head here is the problem area.

I got electraclean on the list. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2019
Registered!!

Found a decent machinist not too far away. It's a treat to watch a pro at work. He said it's never been surfaced. Stock Honda steel plate gasket on the car. You think it's the original at 220,000 miles ? Hope the next one lasts that long.