Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

oiled coils replaced, now getting misfire when warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wistlo is an unknown quantity at this point
oiled coils replaced, now getting misfire when warm

Our 2001 EX sedan with manual began suffering catastrophic misfiring about six months ago. All four of the spark plug tubes had oil pooled in them, and I replaced the coils with these aftermarket coils from Amazon:

Pack of 4 Ignition Coils for 2001-2005 Honda Civic - Acura EL - 1.7L L4 C1460 UF-400 UF400 Pack of 4 Ignition Coils for 2001-2005 Honda Civic - Acura EL - 1.7L L4 C1460 UF-400 UF400

I also replaced the spark plugs with these:

NGK (7100) ZFR6FGP Spark Plug - Pack of 4 NGK (7100) ZFR6FGP Spark Plug - Pack of 4

We replaced the oil tube seals on the valve cover and the valve cover gasket and are running leak-free.

After installation, the car starts and runs normally but after warming up begins to idle more roughly. I also get occasional power drops under hard acceleration, something that never happened before with the old coils. The car ran perfectly until I believe one or two of the original coils failed from oil infiltrating from the leaking into the tubes. (When I first went in, three of four cylinder tubes were soaked in oil, and the fourth had minor leakage.)

The reviews on the aftermarket coils are majority positive, but a few people had problems with misfiring.

OEM coils ( 30520-PVJ-A01 ) are $57.25 each (or $229 for a set).

The onset of the misfire was coincident with the oil on the old coils. The new coils and plugs work perfectly until the engine is warmed up, but then begin to misfire at idle, causing roughness and varying rpms. I also got one set of misfire codes on OBD on all four cylinders plus the general misfire code, but those haven't come back, though the erratic idle when warm continues. I am doubtful that EGR or other failures coincide with this. THe catalytic converter consistently comes up with p0420 code ("efficiency below threshold") since a dealer ran some kind of cleaner though several years ago (thanks!), so I suspect the O2 sensor is OK.

Any experience here on aftermarket ignition coils on 7th gen EX 1.7 engines? Should I spring for the OEM coils?

Those NGK plugs are marked as compatible (heat range, OEM part nunber PZFR6F-11 vs ZFR6FGP, the OEM are $12 each ), no issues on Amazon reviews including a couple of CIvics, but could that be a cause?
Old 04-21-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: oiled coils replaced, now getting misfire when warm

Get OEM coils, grab a set from a junkyard if you want to save some $
Old 04-21-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Driving with misfires can ruin the catalytic converter in a hurry,

it could clog up the cat, or the guts of the cat could break apart and the loose chunks could clog up the exhaust at random times
Old 04-23-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Check to make sure the coil clips are clicked in all the way... freaked out for a few hours once when I left one half clipped, lol.