Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

2001 DX Sputtering issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beava22 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 DX Sputtering issue

My 2001 Civic DX was sputtering pretty bad. As the RPMs increase the sputtering would decrease. I got new Bosch plugs and new plug wire o-rings(the ones that are set into the valve cover.)

As I was taking the ignition coils out I realized the rubber pc on the bottom of the coil that wraps around the spark plug was in bad shape on all 4. On two of the coils the rubber pc was detached from the coil and just stayed at the bottom of the tube around the spark plug. I used a coat hanger to pull the pcs out. There was also oil in the tube and on the spark plugs and ignition coils.

So I changed all of the spark plugs. They were all pretty rough. None of them were tight. One of them wasn't even hand tight and was broken and burnt up. The o-rings were all in pretty rough shape as well. I replaced all of those.

So I put everything back together, including the shabby ignition coils. The car was no longer sputtering at idle, but the CEL stayed on. Once I drove the car there was still some sputtering. Not nearly as bad as before changing the plugs and o-rings. I also put some sea-foam and Marvel mystery oil in this week.

Any suggestions on what my next move should be?
Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 DX Sputtering issue

Go back to DangerZone.
Have them read the codes.
What are the codes?
Got freeze frame data? Write it down.
Have them clear the codes.

Buy a set of NGK plugs, PZFR6F-11.
(If you have to be cheap, get a set of ZFR6F-11.)
Go back home.
Remove the Botch plugs.
Throw away the Botch plugs.
I wouldn't put them in a lawnmower.

1)Start over.

2)Diagnose for misfire, if that is the codes retrieved.

Where did you get the coil parts? Have you tried a set of coils, or try just the offending coil? Got a friends car you can steal parts from? (That always makes it easier.)

Carbon tracks burned into the rubber and porcelain will cause more tracks if the problem parts are not replaced at the same time: One causes the other to reoccur in very short time.

Compression check?
Dead cylinder checks?
Valve adjustment?
Old 07-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beava22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2001 DX Sputtering issue

Thank you for the input. I'll get crackin'.